4

CHAPTER 4

𝖘𝖊𝖑𝖋 𝖈𝖆𝖗𝖊 𝖘𝖊𝖘𝖍

FIRST SHOW, COMPLETE. The standing ovation was loud enough that the audience couldn’t hear us screaming and jumping into each other’s arms from behind the closed curtain. I never received so many hugs and kisses in my life before I had a leading role. It felt great. Better than great, I just couldn’t find the words.

The weight was finally lifted off my shoulders. I didn’t let anyone down. No one fell, missed a que, or ripped their costume. Our routine went perfectly, as did the rest of the show. The critics would probably give us good enough reviews that would sell out the rest of our tour. 

Not that selling out every show was very important. 

I finally came across Otis again among the sea of managers and performers, him picking me up and spinning me around. My feet definitely kicked a few people but we were all too happy to care.

“We did it Audi!” He laughed, keeping me in his arms as he put me back down. “Our first headlining duet on stage, can you fuckin’ believe it?”

At first, I couldn’t. When it was announced I froze in fear of disappointing the whole team. Otis and I had just mutually broken up as well, yet having him as my partner made things much easier and entertaining. 

You’d think it would be awkward for us to go from having an intimate relationship, to ending that, to being in close quarters again. I was more comfortable because we knew each other well, inside and out. Removing the romantic aspect of our relationship, we were still very connected. Already having that trust from the beginning set the tone for us perfecting our routine. There was no other person I’d rather perform with(besides Val, but she could barely do a cartwheel).

“Let’s hope you can stand me for about 24 more shows,” I tease. I knew he could. He was naturally a very patient person. That, and he was on the second bus.

He played along, dramatically groaning, “I really don’t think I can, you’re a pain in the ass.”

“Actually, Otis, you're a pain in the ass,” Val chimed in. I don’t even know where she came from, but I let myself go from Otis and hugged her.

“Thanks for keeping us alive,” I joke as we pull apart. It was a joke I said every time, I couldn’t help it. Our lives really were in her hands. 

She glared at me. “You’ve said that shit like a hundred times and it doesn’t make me any less scared.” I only grin back.

“Hey,” Otis made his presence known again, opening his arms with a teasing grin. “Where’s my hug, Val?” Both Val and I roll our eyes.

Perks of being friends with a lightskin. 

Keeping her glare on her face, she hugged him anyway. He squeezed her tightly to annoy her more. It worked because she jabbed his ribs with her thumbs for him to let her go.