Season 8

Alan is beyond surprised to see Frankie, but also confused. She is living in the city and wanted to start things over with him since she managed to turn her life upside down. Alan was skeptical at first, but he agreed for them to get to know one another more. However, he starts feeling worried about dragging Frankie into his own less-desired lifestyle, considering the trouble she had to go through with her daughter.

Following release from his punishment, Charlie has been going on a raging rampage of drinking and gambling. In other words, just a regular day for the jingle writer. After a few dramas at home, he decides to visit his psychiatrist and she notices that his actions stem from an emotional reaction to Chelsea leaving. She digs deeper into Charlie's problems and suggests that a family session is needed with Alan and Evelyn. As they continue going, Charlie faces the inevitable fact that his fears go back to when he lost his father and the rough childhood he had to experience because of his mother. Alan also jumps in and relates his own experiences and the attention now turns to Evelyn. The doctor manages to see through her. Evelyn starts telling stories of how abusive and cold her parents were to her and how she continued to make mistakes throughout her lifetime until killing her husband was the straw that broke the camel's back. After that, she had a hard time accepting who she was and she developed major low self-esteem, as well as personality disorders. Charlie and Alan listen with much attention but the former still doesn't accept the treatment he and his brother received. It is revealed that Evelyn reached the point that to avoid her problems, she turned to others, even her own sons.

As those 3 were in the psychiatrist, Jake has been cooking in his mother's and Charlie's house, sometimes making a mess out of everything. Once, when he was alone on a Saturday he threw a grand party, and Berta gladly joined Later on in the season, he participates in a cooking course for young chefs, and he later gets major anxiety as he witnesses the fierce challenges and competition he will encounter. To avoid his problems, he starts playing guitar and goes to parties.

Towards the end of the season, Charlie gets an unexpected visit from Rose, a person he has kept in his life so he could be convinced that he wouldn't always be alone. Much to his surprise, however, she tells him that she fell in love with another drunk gambler, but that she will never be able to fully forget Charlie. She reveals that she has been seeing someone for help and that it's better for them to move on. Despite that, the two share one more night together but Charlie can't sleep knowing that she will be gone as well.

Meanwhile, Judith has been experiencing major behavioral disorders, a condition that has been worsening more and more as she realizes that she wishes to have it all and that she doesn't really trust anyone. Herb, being a nice guy has been trying to calm her down, but to no avail, as he gets kicked out and moves in with Charlie and Alan.