Chapter Five: Nightmares and Daydreams

5up flopped onto his bed. He really hates school sometimes. Plus, all the stress of exams really doesn't help him try and figure out his whole Fundy Dream thing. But all 5up wanted to do was sleep. A long well-deserved sleep that when he wakes up he'll be refreshed and ready to face everything. He sat up and changed into a pair of freshly cleaned pyjamas. 5up flicked off the lights and slipped under his covers. He was exhausted so sleep came quickly over him.

5up takes the hand of the person standing next to him.

"Are you ready?" He asks, turning towards the person.

"I'm ready." The person was shorter than 5up was, with thick dark brown hair and electric blue eyes.

5up felt a swarm of butterflies burst in his stomach. He felt his hands go clammy and shaky as he remembered who the person was.

"Eric..." His voice was barely above a whisper.

Eric touched a hand to 5up's cheek, "it's okay to be nervous babe, I am too."

5up thought back to when he saw Eric for the first time. He was sitting in class bored and then this person just walked through, and suddenly English class got a whole lot more interesting for the 14-year-old.

"Babe..?" Half of 5up wanted to flinch away from Eric's touch but the other half wanted to close his eyes and spend the rest of his life

"Are you okay with that 5up? I know we haven't really talked about it... and we are still young..."

5up sighed and meet Eric's shining blue eyes, "it's okay. I know we haven't talked about it, but I think I'm ready."

Eric smiled at 5up with that smile that could melt him right then and there. Eric led 5up through the doors into the dimly lit cinema. The room was mostly empty apart from a few people spread out over the seats, the lightly too dark to make out any distinguishable features. The movie had already started so the pair crept into the back row. They sat next to each other, both hands still clasped together. Eric mostly watched the movie in silence, but 5up couldn't focus on the flashing images in front of him. His mind moved too face.

Eric noticed 5up's dis-engagement and whispered, "5up?"

5up turned to face Eric.

"Hmm?" 5up smiled at his date.

"Do you mind?" Eric asked, as he brought 5up's face closer to his own.

5up felt his cheeks glow red as he shook his head. Eric closed his eyes and leaned in. 5up was about to close his eyes too when the movie flashed a bright white light that illuminated the whole room. 5up locked gaze with a boy with dark hair and dark brown eyes. The boy had his hand intertwined with another blonde-haired boy. 5up felt this stomach sink. He pulled away from Eric. Hastily 5up stood up and began walking out of the cinema. He felt Eric's fingers touch his back as he pulled away.

"5up! Wait!" He heard from Eric, but 5up didn't look back as he walked into the cold crisp night.

5up flickered his eyes opened as he sat up in his bed. It was just a dream. 5up glanced out his windows, the curtains that usually blocked out the night sky, lay scrunched up on either side of the window. Untouched. It was late. Very late. Or very early. But 5up didn't care, he could hear it calling to him when he looked out of the window. The wind whistling his name. The moon smiling down at him, telling him to join it as it sprayed the dark trees with white light. The stars twinkled, spelling out his name, hypnotizing him, begging him to follow them down the steep hills, covered with weeds and dried, crunchy, dead yellow grass. 5up wanted to give into their temptations, but it wasn't worth it. He pulled his gaze away to glance around his room. He could see every memory that he pasted to his wall. 5up let his eyes fall onto the pictures. He saw him and Fundy on their first day of high school. Him and Fundy at Fundy's 8th Birthday. Him and Fundy at the beach. Him and Fundy and his family's barbeque. Him and Fundy out to dinner. 5up buried his head into his pillow, screwing his eyes shut. All dreams had meaning right? So, what did his dream mean? Why did he dream about Eric, a guy he hadn't seen in over 3 years? Why was Fundy and Dream there? Why did they matter? Why didn't he kiss Eric? He had wanted to for the whole year that he was in his class. 5up could have had what he wanted to, but he saw Fundy. Was it because 5up would have gotten together with Eric if Fundy weren't his best friend? Was Fundy the reason he ruined his chances with Eric? Why was 5up all of a sudden blaming Fundy for all of his 14-year-old self's issues? It didn't matter anymore. 5up had moved on. Or so he thought. Has 5up not moved on? Did he still like Eric? Perhaps he should contact Eric again. Go on a couple of coffee dates. Forget about Dream and Fundy. Why does 5up linger on Dream and Fundy? Every time he goes to think, weather it may be able the strangest things, not even closely related, his brain always finds away to get back on the subject of Dream and Fundy. Studying for school have become so much more difficult now. He was slowly slipping from an A+ student to a C- student. All because of stupid Dream.