Chapter 5

I had woken on the plane, spewed my guts up yet again and after another gazillion hours, we landed. Then to my horror, we went to another plane and repeated again until we had finally arrived back on Italian soil.

I was ushered into one of the two black sleek cars, pushed and pulled and manhandled by bodyguards. The drive, I overheard was only a short one to the embassy so a few minutes drive really. But traffic was full on, a crash or road works. The driver took another route, a longer route with less cars. I sat in the back, all by myself, petrified.

I'm staying at the Embassy till the case goes to court. I have to testify what I saw and heard. To prove that this Angelo Ricci was involved. I will meet the man. I will finally see what he really looks like besides that one grainy photo I saw six months ago. I can finally put a face to the man that haunts my nightmares.

No details were given to me when this will happen. Or if he has been caught yet. The plane trip was longer than what I wanted as we had plane hopped a couple times. I don't know why it happened, maybe confusing anyone that was after me.

All I know is that Angelo Ricci wanted me dead.

No shit. Came the inner voice. I ignored her as I stared out the windows, looking into darkness. That thought of this Angelo Ricci trying to have me murdered gave me shivers again. I was cold. Really cold and the heating in the car wasn't doing it for me. It may have been warm on the other side of the world, but not here.

Then I heard brakes screeching and a crash, metal grinding together and the car I was in halted.

Alert, I looked out the windows to see anything, but the darkness surrounded us. Did the car in front just crashed?

The guards at the front of the car I was in must have recovered from what they saw as they stepped out and one got in with me, his gun raised and ready to fire.

I heard gunshots as I curled into a ball where my feet were, my hands over my head as I tried not to scream. Once again, I was in a gun fight and here I was, covering my ears, crouching in the foetal position, crying.

I bit my lips together, squeezed my eyes shut as the night held a small and quick war. With every gunshot I heard, I jumped, a small squeal trying to escape my mouth as I continued to bite my lips together. My face was wet with fresh tears, my thoughts racing and I found myself praying, begging on not dying.

Then the car door opens next to me as I froze and I heard two quick gunshots and a grunt. I don't know if my guard shot anyone or he got shot but I stayed still. I was in the F mode. Flight, Fright or Fight. For me, it was fright. I held my breath and those couple of seconds felt like eternity. My hands covering my head, I was curled up as small as possible when I felt a hand take my hair, pulling me up and making me scream.

I scampered out of the car, bright lights blinding me as all I saw was that as my hair got pulled, making me stand then tilt my head up as I was partially dragged. The tug was harder as I cried out, my hands flying to the hands in my hair. "Let me go you ugly brute!" I screamed as I tried not only reclaiming my hair but also scampering away.

I didn't drop to my knees and cried once my hair was free from that almighty grip, I refused to as one of my hands balled up and I swung, turning my body to the person holding me, getting him in the throat. Now it I was in fight. I'm going to fight for my life if I have to.

I heard him choke on air as his hold on me loosened completely and I ran. I tried to run away from the bright lights, from them. Now flight.

I only took a few long-paced steps when I was tackled to the ground and I groaned as the air left my lungs, my arm stinging as it slid in the dirt, most likely scraping skin off. The thud of my body landing on the hard ground echoed in me as I became winded briefly.