chapter 16 - unexpected

froy and george content ^

-

After we finished our meal at the diner, I leaned back in the booth, savoring the moment. Clay sat next to me on the outside of the booth, laughing at something Nick said as he slammed his fist on the table. Karl sat across from me, his cheeks tinted pink, while Nick casually had his arm slung around his shoulder. Our half-drunken milkshakes were sitting at the center of the table, the whipped cream frothing as it melted while water droplets formed at the bottom of the glass. I stirred my straw around, taking a sip as I leaned my hand into my cheek.

"So do you think it will be alright with you guys?" Karl asked, tilting his head towards us.

"What do you mean?" I furrowed my eyebrows while I slid the milkshake towards Clay.

"Like, can princes marry non-royals?" he corrected himself as he placed his elbows on the table.

"Oh.. I don't know," I lied, looking over at Clay as I remembered Fiona. He returned my glance with a saddened expression, the corners of his lips turning down slightly.

"If not, maybe I can change that when I'm king," I responded, looking back over at Karl. He nodded, dropping the subject.

"Why are you guys being so.. distant? I know George just came out but no one knows who you are," Nick asked, waving his cup around in the air. I gave him an annoyed look, and he rolled his eyes as he reconsidered his words.

"Alright, I guess you're the prince. But still, you're from another kingdom. I don't think anyone cares." he replied, taking a sip of his drink. Karl nodded and looked at me with a reassuring gleam in his eyes.

Can't really come out to the whole world when you're supposed to marry your boyfriend's sister, I thought to myself, forming my lips in a straight line.

"Forward as always, Nick." Clay replied, chuckling.

"It's not that, It's just that- Clay doesn't like PDA," I replied quickly, pointing my finger in the air.

"I don't?" he asked, seemingly offended as a smirk grew on his face.

"N-no-"

He snaked his arm around my waist, pulling me closer so our thighs were touching. I kept my head down, my eyes looking up at Nick as I raised one eyebrow, showing him my irritation. He laughed, taking a sip of his milkshake. Karl smiled as he sunk further into his side, keeping Nick's arm around him.

"Well, are you guys ready to go?" I asked, pushing Clay's grip off me and scooting closer to the wall. He looked physically disappointed, pouting as he looked the other way. I rolled my eyes and nudged him in the side amusingly.

Just as we started to work out the bill, the door burst open and a group of people with cameras stormed in, rushing to our table.

Clay turned his back to them quickly, shooting me a distraught glance. I widened my eyes in alarm, hiding my face in my hand. Nick quickly stood up and started to shove them away, letting Karl get up so he could grab my hand to leave. Sadly, Karl and Nick didn't know Clay was also the prince, and that the photographers were really here for him.

"Over here, paparazzi, get a load of this," Nick exclaimed, flexing his muscles and posing for the camera.

I huffed out my amusement before quickly turning my attention back to Clay, who still sat facing my direction, frantically deciding what to do. He whipped around and jumped out of his seat, running for the door as Karl took my hand from across the table and dragged me after him.

Once we were outside, Karl lead us behind the building, leaning against the brick wall. I let out the breath I was holding, running my hand down my face.