A Very Hallow Hassle

Esmeralda Hallow

It shouldn't take a Hallow for people to realize that the Great Wizard was off his rocker. With a pandemic taking over the entire non magical world, the best he could do was create a law forbidding witches and wizards from interfering in the calamities of the non magicals. That was easy for him to say whilst he had protection spells all around the council. He wasn't among the non magicals who were forced to stay at home, the doctors and nurses who were risking their lives treating patients suffering from Coronavirus, the students and teachers who had to cope with having their lessons online or the people who were now unemployed because their jobs could risk the spread of the virus.

Mother had already been giving Esmeralda the cold shoulder since she began her training to be a magical healer instead of training for the council position everyone expected her to take once she had cleared the entrance exam to Weirdsister College with top marks. She only pretended to have accepted Esmeralda's decision when Sybil refused to eat or sleep until she did.

Esmeralda had been confined to her room since morning when she openly expressed her disapproval at the Great Wizard's methods. She had known her mother would make no attempt to hide her displeasure at her eldest daughter's craving to defy the Great Wizard, being an important member of the council. However, she never once imagined the extent of it. Her parent's words rang clearly through her mind every minute.

Esmeralda, I never once expected this of you. You, of all people should know better. You are a disgrace to the Hallow name!

Honestly, Esmeralda, we'd have thought you were better off without your powers if we'd known you'd turn out like this!

Why can't you be more like your sister Ethel?

Well, at least Ethel would be pleased. She heard a knock at the door and wiped a tear as she went to open it. She was surprised to see Ethel at the door. Ethel telling her off just because she currently held the upper hand was the last thing she needed. 

"What do want, Ethel? Come to gloat?"

"I heard what Mother said," she began tentatively. "I just wanted to say, you're not a disgrace to the Hallow name. Only a true Hallow would be brave enough to go against the Great Wizard to do what was right."

Esmeralda smiled. Normally, Ethel being this nice would be something suspicious, but something in Ethel's tone told her that this was genuine kindness. Her heart swelled with pride seeing how much her little sister had changed in such little time.

"Thanks, Ethel. That means a lot."

She wrapped her arms around her sister tightly and didn't let go for a long time.  

A/N This is a sequel to the 2017 series. There are so many more things I absolutely NEED in that series so I'm trying to include that stuff in a fanfic. Since Ethel becomes Mildred's advisor and friend in the last episode, I think she should have a bit of a redemption arc without having her major traits cut. Besides that, I think there are many plotholes with Hecate's backstory that need to be addressed. Also, this story is a birthday gift for my sister. So if she's reading this right now, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!