A tiny confidence boost for Sybil

A/N: I kinda included stuff about Broomhead in this part even though Broomhead isn't technically part of the 2017 series. For those who don't know who Broomhead is, HB couldn't go to college after she graduated from Cackles because of her confinement. So for higher studies, she got a tutor called Broomhead who was one of the few people HB was scared of. She was abusive towards her students. We see that in the 1998 series, she comes as an inspector to the academy and in the later episodes, to replace Miss Cackle as headmistress. 

Hecate Hardbroom

Hecate was busy in her office grading tests, when she heard a sharp knock at the door. 
"Enter." she said, not looking up from her work. Beatrice Bunch strode into the room. 
"What do you want, Beatrice Bunch?" she asked sharply, finally looking at her. 
"Please, Miss Hardbroom," said Beatrice, "Sybil's a good witch. She only made mistakes today because I distracted her." 
"There is no more to be said about the topic." said Hecate firmly. 
"But Miss Hardbroom--" began Beatrice. 
"I believe Miss Hallow requires tutoring, and I will not change my mind." said Hecate, cutting her off. 
"Sybil just needs more confidence!" cried Beatrice. "Once, I pretended I had a confidence potion and gave it to her, she could do loads of things- without a real potion."
Hecate had known that for a long time, but when Beatrice told her about the fake confidence potion, it gave her an idea. 
"I will keep that in mind." she said, more gently this time. "You may go." 
Beatrice nodded and left the room. 

Sybil came running towards Hecate's office at top speed and stopped as soon as she saw Hecate. 
"Am I late?" she asked, still panting. "We had flying and--" 
"Very nearly." said Hecate drily, "It is moments to seven o clock. Sit down." 
Sybil looked relieved that she wasn't late and sat down. Hecate caught Sybil biting her lip, as she always did when she was scared. Sybil nearly jumped when Hecate decided that they'd had sufficient silent communion and spoke. 
"How many mistakes did you make in your potion today?" 
"Four, Miss Hardbroom." answered Sybil almost immediately. "I didn't add enough slime of slug, I added raven feathers instead of crow feathers, accidentally put bat drool in which amplified it, and I stirred it too many times."
"Correct." said Hecate. "Now, I will give you ten minutes to redo the potion completely without a single mistake. Do you understand me?"
Sybil nodded meekly. Hecate waved her arms and a cauldron materialised in front of Sybil. She started working on it anxiously. She looked terrified as she finished the potion and began reciting the incantations. 
"
See the clouds, as they swarm. 
Bring us an almighty storm! 
"

Nothing happened. The potion was the right colour. Hecate had made sure that Sybil had added all the ingredients in the right amount. The incantations were correct, yet nothing happened. Hecate knew where the problem lay immediately. 

"BRING US AN ALMIGHTY STORM!" cried Sybil desperately at the top of her lungs. Thunder rumbled slightly, but no sign of a storm. "I'm sorry Miss Hardbroom, I just can't do it." Her shoulders sagged with disappointment. "Did I say it wrong?"

"The problem lies not with the incantation or the potion, but with the recitation." explained Hecate patiently. "It is no doubt, an improvement, but lack of confidence is unbecoming in a witch."

"What happens if I can't do it?" asked Sybil, her lower lip trembling. "Would they take my magic away if I can't learn fast enough?" 

Hecate was horrified. Not just because of what Sybil thought, but also because of a voice ringing in her head which she desperately tried to tune out. A voice that sent shivers down her spine. The voice of the person she feared more than anything else. The person she sincerely hoped she would never see again. 

"I will strip you of your magic, girl!" echoed Broomhead's malicious voice. "If you cannot learn, then the power you have is of no use to anyone. If you cannot learn control of your powers, they are a danger to everyone. And we wouldn't want that, now, would we? Or would you be careless enough to let what happened to Miss Moon happen to someone else? Would you let another person you tell me you care about get hurt, all because of you? Miss Pentangle for instance?"