Chapter 5:\\ My New Acquaintances

"Hello?" I answered the call. Usually, I never answer random phone calls, but I was feeling a bit more lonely than usual today. Amy had been at Aaron's house all weekend, which left me in an empty glass house with the agony that surrounded my brain.

It was nice at first, sleeping on the couch with a bucket of ice cream in tow as I would watch countless romantic comedies. But, repeating the same thing for almost 3 days was not as exciting as the first time. It had become a habit, one that I needed to break free from.

"Hey! Bailey! I didn't think you'd pick up." He said and I immediately wanted to hang up. It was Jupal, the pharmacy student that had offered to drive me home a few weeks ago. The fact that he now had my number creeped me out, I never gave it to him. "How are you?"

"How did you get my number?" I heard myself say with my lips pursed and anger levels rising. I was beyond creeped out by this guy.

"Your dad gave it to me." He responded coolly.

"He... what?" I had no emotion in my voice as the blood drained out of my body. He knew my school, my phone number, and my address. If I didn't know any better, I'd think he was a stalker. Or maybe, if I did know better— my heart was racing, afraid of what would happen if I said the wrong thing.

"Yeah, don't worry. There's a small get-together tonight with some of my colleagues. It would be cool if you came." Jupal said. I contemplated his question, wondering what possible hidden meaning could be involved.

He was inviting a high schooler to a party with pharmacy students. It seemed illogical— but, maybe he was as lonely as I was. Or maybe I was being naive.

"I can pick you up tonight at eight if you want to go. It's not far from here and I can get you home before midnight." Jupal said. My gut told me this was a bad idea, but I was too lonely to care. Too sad to think logically. Too afraid to say no.

I hadn't had any human interaction since Aaron had dropped me off on Friday. My parents hardly picked up the phone, probably because they were busy in France this weekend and the time zones were different. But sometimes, I just thought they didn't really want to talk to me.

"Okay." I said, then added, "but it's not a date." I wasn't sure what overpowered me to say this, but I couldn't be bothered. I wanted to end the call. I didn't want to her his not-very-deep voice in my ears anymore. But I did. Anything, even the sound of his voice, was better than the silence of my own thoughts.

"Really?" He asked, slightly shocked, before he said he couldn't wait to see me tonight, that I should wear something casual, and then he hung up.

I'd slept through the few hours of daylight until a knock on my door startled me. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happened and then, I knew exactly who was at the door.

Jupal, the pharmacy student. He was here to pick me up for a party tonight with his 'colleagues.' I wasn't sure what had compelled me to agree to go, he made me anxious each time I thought about him and I felt a physical desire to vomit anytime he was nearby. But it was too late, I was scared of what might happen if I declined while he was here- in person- at my house. I yawned, walking groggily to the front door and holding it open.

"Hey." He smiled, a bouquet of flowers held inside tan fingers. I looked at him, wondering why he'd brought me flowers if I'd told him this wasn't a date.

"No. No flowers. This isn't a date." I said again, still slightly creeped out that he was here. Still bothered by the fact that he knew my address and stalked his way into getting my phone number. That my parents had so easily trusted him. It made me angry, but I hid it well.