07 | LSD

“This isn't a costume party.”

I lifted my head from my new textbook. I sat alone by a classroom, trying to make sense of my math homework, when a really tall girl came up to me. She had her long white hair tied in high ponytail and wore black jeans and a maroon crop top, along with black eyeliner and pink lipstick.

I was sure by the looks of it, she was breaking the dress code herself. Make-up was strictly prohibited, and so were high heeled shoes. Her's were these monster sized boots had never seen before.

“But this isn't a costume,” I said, looking down at my dress for the billionth time today. It was a simple one: long sleeves, no cleavage, what I later learned to be a skater dress. And it went past my knees, so I wasn't sure what the problem was.

“You look like you just walked straight out of The Emerald City from The Wizard Of Oz,” one hand on her hip and the other way around my appearance.

Okay, so maybe I had a green ribbon in my hair, green sandals and an old green necklace Amber was given by our adoptive mum. I probably did look ridiculous, and it must have shown on my face.

“Oh,” I realised, getting red. “I'm new, and I didn't know the dress code until I got here.” I explained sheepishly, very embarrassed.

She smiled, but there was something menacing about it. Before she could say something clearly snide, someone came up to me.

“Sardonyx, right?” they said.

The girl scoffed. “What on earth does that mean?”

“Give it a rest, Dalia,” the person said. They looked wore grey joggers and a baggy t-shirt written, ‘Hot Dogs Are Sandwiches, Fight Me.’

The girl, Dalia, turned and left with sudden disinterest. I noticed she didn't walk for long. She disappeared behind a corner as suddenly as she'd come.

“Wanna come sit with us?” the person offered. I couldn't tell if they were a girl or boy. Golden studs adorned their ears, they weren't much taller than me, and their clothes were too baggy to be able to tell.

“Okay,” I said with hesitation. Something about them intrigued me.

They led me to a patch of grass under a tree nearby a kidney shaped, abandoned swimming pool, where there were other kids like Dalia were sitting, smoking and laughing together.

“My name's Lyric, by the way, but call me Lee,” the person scratched behind their neck, gaining a little colour, as if they wanted to say something extra. When they didn't, I decided to speak up.

“I don— N-nicknames, I— C,” I had the lie planned out in my head. I was frustrated why I couldn't say it out loud. “Y-you can just stick to my full name,” I sighed.

“Okay?”

“You brought the new girl? Lee, do you have a crush already?” a voice rang out deviously from above us.

My head immediately snapped up to see a handsome boy up in tree, dressed in all black complete with curly mahogany hair looking directly down at me with a devilish grin.

“I must admit, she does have a pretty nice rack,” he commented lightly as he maneuvered his way down the tree. “...If you like quadruple As,” he added with sarcasm when he stomped the ground.

“Can stop harassing people for two seconds!” Lee said, voice going much higher and jaw clenched, a little girly but not quite. Their face was pink at the ears in embarrassment, though.

“I'm just stating the obvious in case your simp ass was too blinded by love at first sight to take in someone's true form. Again.”

I chewed on my bottom lip, not sure if I wanted to sit with these guys after all. The boy was pretty rude, and clearly a teaser. I had long figured out I couldn't handle teasing well.