09 | evil brothers

I woke up feeling strange, like I had left my body and come back again. My hand shook as went to my pacing heart, and trailed down my cold skin to my stomach. It didn't feel as empty anymore.

Was that all a dream? No, definitely not.

I straightened up, and took in the fact I was tucked in two layers of blankets on my bed. That was extremely strange because other than that night with Chris, I continued to sleep on the floor.

I got up, and went walked towards the bathroom door, but stopped abruptly as I remembered I didn't have any more pills.

Leaning against the closest wall, I slid down it. My arms hugged my cold body as the air I breathed out became frost. Winter had come, and I was only dressed in pair of red shorts too big for me and a random grey t-shirt I didn't recognize. It smelt faintly of fabric softener and men's cologne.

A brand new pair of scissors on top of the desk reflected in the twilight coming out in threads through the window. I picked it up, and stared at it in wonder before bringing it to the space between my thumb and index finger. I pressed hard on it, inflicting pain but not enough to draw blood. I did it again, pooring all my frustration and sadness into it.

I hated my nightmares and fears. I hated how it got to this point. I could barely remember every being normal and happy. Just silent, afraid and isolated from my sister.

I dropped the scissors before I went overboard.

"I'm okay," I told myself, although I knew all too it wasn't true. "I just need to get a hold of myself."

My hand went through my hair. "I need to get a grip."

I forced myself up from where I wanted to just cry myself to death.

"I need to get things done if I ever want to get better," I told myself, fighting the urge to think about the memories of pain were gathering at the front of my mind.

"Starting with eating something," I opened the bedroom door, and walked in the direction of the kitchen silently as had become my nature all these years.

As I passed the living room, a loud bang caught my attention. I halted immediately. Voices came from a slightly open door under the stairs, and they were rather loud. I shouldn't have been listening-I shouldn't have gone down at all! The conversation was too inticing to walk away from, maybe because it sounded like they were talking about me.

"She's stable for now. I'm not sure if she's going to remember anything in the morning, though," an unfamiliar male voice rumbled lowly.

"How did this even happen!" Grey's voice sounded monstrous and made me flinch. Another loud bang occured, followed by the sound of a glass shattering.

"She just passed out! I wanted to call an ambulance but when I came back from getting my phone, her body was gone!" what sounded a lot like Chris, explained.

"How can you even think about calling an ambulance? Do you want us to get killed!" Grey yelled.

"I'm sorry!"

"Sorry doesn't fix things! She went missing. Do you understand those three words? Sardonyx went fucking missing. She could have been taken, poisoned, kidnapped, anything! You don't even know amount of danger-"

"Calm down," the unfamiliar voice from earlier exclaimed. "She's safe now. She hasn't been seen. You're safe for now."

"But that doesn't solve the problem."

"Telling her could solve the problem," James' voice surprised me. I didn't expect him to be in there.

"That's just going to get her killed, you imbecile," Grey sneered. "If she finds out she'll run for the hills or go out to find Rodrigo. Either way ends in death and our cover is blown."

"Good then! We don't need her and we don't want her. Our lives were much safer without the little bitch," James argued.

"If she gets taken, we're dead. Stuff that stick further up your ass til it shuts you up because you're going to have to deal with the fact you have a sister that's staying whether we like it or not," Grey seethed.

"We were better off when we thought she was dead," I thought I heard Chris mumbled.

"If she's staying, I'm not. I'm leaving this place as soon as possible and don't expect to ever hear from me again."

I gasped when suddenly an arm wrapped tightly around me from behind and the other covered my mouth. I wriggled in my assailant's grasp, but they were stronger than me.

I was dragged back up the stairs, struggling viciously with all my strength. Once we were back up, the person let go and I turned around to see a slightly taller figure than me with curly dark brown hair and a vicious facial expression.

Manny.

He gripped me by the shoulders and dug his nails deeply into the bare skin exposed by the grey t-shirt.

"You're hurting me," I cried. "Let me go."

"You're tearing my family apart and all you have to say is complain?" his grip go tighter.

"I'm sorry-"

"Your apology won't help shit. This will," his face turned downright malicious as he shoved me backwards down the stairs.

I tumbled and hit my head and body several times between twists in the air. Every part of it was slow and excruciating, just like my older memories under Mr. Vitellino's care.

The worse part at the end of them all was the fact everything wouldn't go black.

*
[edited]