Chapter 4

TRIGGER WARNING - SCENES OF DEPRESSION AND DESCRIPTIVE SELF-HARM. DON'T FORGET, YOU ARE LOVED.

Enjoy

-

When the mind suffers from depression, the body suffers physically. The body can experience headaches, chronic body aches, and pain that is untreatable with medications. Depression and emotional stress can also harm the immune system, making the person vulnerable to simple diseases and infections.

Cognitively, depression can leave the brain fogged, causing problems such as an inability to concentrate and difficulties in making decisions to arise. Lamentably, depression can lead to thoughts of suicide.

Following the days after her anxiety attack, Hermione felt unmotivated to participate in any thing. In the dining hall, she would simply nod her head yes or no when her 'friends' asked her about how she slept or how activities went. Other than that, Hermione maintained an empty expression, her eyes glossed over.

She didn't bother to eat. She tried, but her mind sent sharp, twisting pain to her stomach if she simply looked at her plate. Vicious, dark circles formed underneath her glazed, honey eyes, her facial complexion looked ill.

Hermione hasn't gotten good rest since she's been lucid. Her fears of being all alone and faceless friends haunted and stalked her dreams.

Not dreams.

Nightmares.

Hermione couldn't call what she experienced dreams. They were too terrifying. Caused her to jolt herself awake in the middle of the night, drenched with sweat and her voice coarse from screaming. She attempts to fall back asleep, but can only see her monsters in the back of her eyelids.

About a week flew by, and the only decent thing that occurred was the nurses not putting her restraints back on. They explained that it was something about her Parasomnias being slightly suppressed by her medication. She didn't pay attention.

Luna saw the change in Hermione's behaviours and decided it would be best to show her the library. Hermione didn't get a chance to plead no before Luna grabbed her by the arm and basically dragged her throughout the building.

The doors leading to the library were similar to most doors in the building, except they were slightly taller. To Hermione's surprise, the library wasn't like any other room in the institution. As the doors opened, Hermione took in the crisp aroma of old parchment paper, dust, and mold, that was oddly comforting. She set her eyes upon the soft-brown hue of the ornate bookshelves, towering over her small frame. She peered up to see the vaulted ceiling, as dust particles floated gracefully through the air, and glistened from the soft orange light seeping into the room as night slowly approached.

The library, which was considerably older than the other additions that were made, appeared to be left untouched. As Hermione walked through the library, she felt as if she was walking through a maze of knowledge. The atmosphere in the library was comparatively tranquil, unlike her desolate bedroom.

Hermione turned back towards Luna, who had a soft smile steadily growing across her face.

"Thank you for bringing me here Luna," she said softly, her eyes connecting with Luna's crystal blue ones. Hermione was thankful someone was trying. Even though this may not completely improve her state-of-mind, it was nice to know someone cared.

Luna lunged towards Hermione and wrapped her frail arms around her back. She could feel Luna's breath as she spoke into her shoulder.

"Anytime Hermione," she pulled herself back and grasped her shoulders, "Just know that I am always here for you - we all are," Luna spoke sincerely and authentically, but Hermione couldn't help but detect the same look of worry and hesitation masked by a smile.