Bruises

Maggie wakes up to the sound of keys jamming into the door. Alex's keys. It was about 4 am, and Alex was getting home from an extra long, tiring shift. Maggie got off a lot earlier, and she knew that Alex wouldn't be home for a while, so instead of going to her apartment, she went to Alex's and made her dinner...or well... breakfast, for when she got home.

"Hey, sorry did I wake you? I know it's late." Alex said walking into the apartment setting her stuff down onto the counter. She wasn't surprised to see Maggie, given the fact that she'd been staying at her apartment more often lately.

"Yeah you did, but it's fine, I wanted to see you as soon as you got home." Maggie said, drowsily rubbing her eyes, not seeing Alex's face that suddenly reddened in terror.

"Wh- did you want to t-talk about something?" Alex said, with just about all of the worst case scenarios running through her head, trying to figure out what she'd done wrong.

"Huh? Oh. Oh. No, no! I didn't mean it like that. I just... I missed you is all. I wanted to spend as much time with you as I could before I have to go to work... which i'm now realizing is in a couple hours...and you're probably tired... I'm sorry."

"No, no don't apologize. I am pretty tired though. How does cuddling sound?" Alex said with a smirk. And Maggie gave her one in return.

"Deal." Maggie said, walking up to Alex, taking off her leather jacket.

After Alex stripped off Maggie's sweatpants and t-shirt, Maggie's hand drifted to the hem of her shirt, bringing it up. But when the shirt got up to about halfway up her torso, Alex winced. Maggie didn't notice it, but then she hissed in pain.

"Alex wha- are you okay? Did you get hurt? Did I hurt you? I'm sor-"

"No no you didn't hurt me. Things just got a little out of hand on a mission today, nothing too big."

"Oh, um, okay then"

With her eyes, she asked Alex if she could finish taking off her shirt, and when Alex nodded, she carefully, carefully, tugged the shirt over her head. But when she did that, an immediate gasp came out of her mouth. She looked down at Alex's stomach, which was painted with several small gashes and blue and purple marks. She quickly turned her around, only to see that her back was much worse. She had a long scrape that went diagonally down her back, covered in dry blood, which Maggie assumed the reason the blood was still there was because Alex probably dressed her own wounds, and the cut was in a part of her back that she was unable to reach herself. She grazed her hand along the gash, moving down to an extremely large bruise that covered almost the entire half of Alex's ribcage.

"Alex..." She whispered, and Alex pulled away.

"I- I promise it really isn't that bad. We were going to the checkpoint, and we didn't realize that there was a car following us. When I saw it through the mirror, I got up onto the window opening trying to aim my gun, but then the driver made a really sharp turn into an alley, and I... fell out."

Maggie let out a long, long sigh. "Go lay down, on your stomach."

"No Mags really-"

"Now." Maggie said in a firm, yet comforting tone.

It was Alex's turn to sigh, as she made her way to the bed. Maggie padded to the bathroom, coming back out with alcohol, gauze, ace bandages, medical tape, and a couple warm wet washcloths. She put the things on Alex's nightstand, and then walked to the kitchen, where she got her a glass of water and a couple advils. When she got back to the bed, she carefully sat down next to Alex.

She took one of the wet washcloths and carefully cleaned the dry blood off of her back. Then she took the alcohol and let it drip onto a patch of gauze, and lightly, lightly, pressed it against the cut. Alex's hissed and tensed at the burning sensation, but then relaxed again when Maggie put the washcloth back onto her back. When she finished disinfecting, she took more gauze and the ace bandages, lining the cut with the soft sheets, then carefully wrapped the bandage around Alex's torso. When she was finished, she pressed soft, soft kisses on the wound she had just dressed, reached over and turned off the lamp, and then laid down as close as she could to Alex without hurting her, pulling the covers over both of them.

"Thank you." Alex whispered, tucking her head under Maggie's arm.

"Nothing to thank me for Danvers." She said as she pressed a kiss onto Alex's hair, and they both drifted to sleep.