Three

Louis tried not to think about the hunter after that, and it wasn’t hard to do so because after the step-Tomlinson’s came home from their breakfast, everything was back to normal.

“Louis!” Verna called him into the kitchen as soon as she arrived home with the boys.

“Yes, mother?” Louis said as he entered.

“We’ve just heard the most delightful news!” Verna announced.

“The prince is throwing a ball!” Liam shook with excitement. Zayn hit him on the back of the head.

“Don’t get your hopes up; he isn’t going to like you.” Zayn rolled his eyes.

“Wait, you’re invited?” Louis asked. “You’re going to the prince’s ball?”

“Don’t be silly, of course we are! Everyone is invited!” Verna smiled, then turned to Louis and gave him a slight frown. “Well, everyone worthy of the prince, I suppose. Don’t worry, you don’t have to go and waste your time, he won’t even want to see someone like you at his party.”

“Someone like me? Why can’t I go?” Louis asked. Louis tended to ask stupid questions.

“You’re not good enough!” Zayn interjected. They all looked at Louis in disgust.

“Really, Louis. Look at yourself. Do you think the prince wants people like you at his party? He’s looking to marry someone. You’re quite embarrassing.” Liam agreed.

“What filth are you covered in, dirt? Is that ash?” Zayn poked at Louis’ cheek. Louis turned away from the touch.

“I can clean myself up for the prince.” Louis said, pulling at the hem of his old shirt.

“Louis, you’re not going with us. You have far too much work to do as it is. I don’t need you wasting your time at some party.” Verna said strictly. “Why don’t you make yourself useful and clean the house again. I need the floors swept and the windows cleaned and the clothes washed. Get to work!” Verna pushed him out of the kitchen. Louis sniffled as he heard them continue talking without him.

“Honestly, he’s like a walking bag of dust.” Liam said.

“Why do you keep him around, mother? He’s just a pain.” Zayn asked.

“He’s free labor.” Verna said. “And he has no choice.”

“But honestly, he needs to clean up. I might start calling him Dirtylouis.” Zayn said.

“That’s a stupid name. Really, that’s horrible.” Liam teased.

“I don’t know, is Repulsivelouis better?” Zayn asked.

“No… perhaps Cinderlouis?” Verna added. They all snickered and Louis went up to his room for a moment of peace.

Louis wished he could get away, but his options were limited. He had nowhere to go. Louis wasn’t one to take chances. He was afraid. He started to gather his supplies to clean when he heard scurrying around the floor. He groaned and attempted to look for the rodents that were invading his space.

Louis spotted two mice. And the mice spotted Louis, too. The mice looked at Louis, almost like they wanted to communicate with him. Louis cocked his head to the side and watched one of the mice run down the hall. The other mouse nodded his little head.

“What are you up to?” Louis smiled at the mouse. The mouse turned and started down the hall, checking to see if Louis was following him.

Louis set down his things and followed the mice.

The mice travelled all the way down the hall and reached a staircase. The mice hopped up the stairs, Louis close behind. Louis tended to avoid this section of the house. It led to another attic that was even higher up than Louis’ room. It was cold and dark and unstable, but he followed the mice without question.

The mice stopped at a door. They stopped and sat and stared at the tall, wooden door. Louis did the same, feeling very confused. He shivered where he stood.

Louis reached forward to touch the ancient handle of the antique door. He tugged it, and it was locked, unsurprisingly.

“Well, that was fun.” He said aloud, to the mice, of course. He turned to leave, because who talks to mice, and who follows them around their house? But Louis heard the mice squeak, and he took that as a signal to stay. He turned to the mice again, and one was gnawing at a wicker basket sat right next to the wooden door.

Louis went to the basket and emptied the contents on the floor. There were some scarves and gloves, very delicate and ancient. And then Louis heard a “plomp!”.

Out of the basket fell a large iron key. It was ornate and intricate and very heavy. Louis picked it up and the mice seemed to rejoice. Mice are weird.

One mouse scurried to the door again. Louis stood and looked at the door, noticing its lock. That must be where the key goes.

“I don’t know about this.” Louis said, definitely not talking to himself. But he proceeded to fit the key into the lock. With a twist of his wrist, he heard a click and pushed the door open.

The mice scurried through the door. Louis lost sight of them in the darkness of the room. There was dust filling his nostrils. How come Verna had never asked him to clean this room?

“Um… mice?” Louis called out, and he knew they wouldn’t respond, but he felt very alone in this new area. However, he heard the mice squeak and rush to his feet. Now there were three mice. They went behind him and pushed his ankles forward until he hit a wall. The wall had a window, and when he opened the curtains, some dim light bled into the room, and at least that was something.

The mice disappeared again, and Louis was left to wander on his own. The dark, cold room wasn’t big, but it was cluttered with many things. The floors creaked with every step he took as he marveled at the sights he saw. He knelt down and looked into a box, which was filled with old paintings and jewelry. He picked up one painting of a mermaid sitting on a rock. She was staring towards the shore, where a man was playing a flute and completely oblivious to the sea creature. Louis then picked up an old pearl necklace with some blue and green gems on it. It looked very authentic.

“These must be my mother’s.” Louis said, and this time he wouldn’t deny talking to himself. He heard the mice rustle again and went to see where they were. Louis couldn’t stand straight in this attic, which was odd because he was already so short. He bent his head and found the mice again, sitting by a cluttered chest. Louis sat down and opened it.

There were old photographs and documents bound to the inner lid of the chest. Louis recognized younger versions of his parents on what seemed to be an island in one photo. So he knew this all belonged to his parents.

He dug through the chest and found only one dress suit in it. It was black and clean and very big, far too big for Louis...

“Hey, wait a minute. Why are you showing me these?” Louis asked the mice. The mice were definitely up to something, ridiculous as it sounds. Louis knew there was a reason he was looking through these old boxes. “What’s the point? S’not like I’m going to that ball anyway.” Louis leaned on the chest with his head in one hand and the suit in the other. One mouse crawled up onto his knee and nudged its head into his hip.

Then, Louis had an idea. He stood up, making sure the mouse was okay, and left the attic, taking the suit and all its accessories with him. The mice followed him down the rickety stairs and into his room. He held the large suit up to his chest and looked in his dirty, cracked mirror.

“If I can clean myself up, maybe they’ll let me go with them to the ball.” Louis smiled at himself, and the mice danced in a circle.

Louis set the suit aside and picked up his cleaning supplies and continued to work, constantly thinking of ways to make himself worthy of a prince.

Louis hated to get ahead of himself, but somehow he always did.