Four

It was now the next day and the big ball was in three hours. Louis cleaned the whole house, top to bottom and helped his step-family get ready and even had time to bathe himself. Louis scrubbed every particle of ash off his skin and soaked his hair in his brother’s shampoo until every speck of dirt was off him. He smelled like rose petals and glowed like a candle.

The suit was entirely too big. The sleeves went down to his knees and he was stepping on the legs with shoes that were as long as his forearm. He took off the suit and tried to figure out what on earth to do.

The mice came back, this time in a group of six. Louis wondered why there were suddenly so many mice in the house, but he went straight to them with no hesitation. They had dragged a little case into his room, and he took it gratefully. Inside were needles and thread and a pair of rusty scissors.

“Better than nothing, I suppose.” Louis shrugged. He took his suit and started snipping this and sewing that. The mice cleared the scraps and guided his needle.

After Louis had finished, the suit might have looked worse than before, but at least it fit. Sort of. There were some rough edges and maybe one arm was shorter than the other but it wasn’t too noticeable if you looked at it from far away. Far, far away. Louis heard the carriage pull up outside, and Louis quickly rushed down the hall, the mice not far behind.

“Stay, please.” Louis said to the mice, and they obeyed. Seriously, who trained these mice? Can you train mice? Whatever.

“Wait!” Louis rushed down the stairs into the front hall. His step-family turned to look at him, startled. “I’m coming with you.”

Louis had planned that line. He imagined himself standing there triumphantly. He imagined his voice would be strong and determined. He imagined his step-family kindly obliging and letting him sit in the cart first. But that’s not what happened.

His voice cracked, first of all, and he blushed with embarrassment. Then, his brothers couldn’t hold their laughs any longer and doubled over, cackling loudly. And finally, Verna blew.

“What on earth? I told you before, you’re not coming! Take those stupid clothes off and get back to work!”

“I cleaned the whole house, Ver- mother.” Louis knelt at her feet. “I’ve done everything you asked and more. And I even cleaned up. You can smell how clean I am. I don’t want to embarrass you, mother. I never ask anything of you, and I just want this one chance. I want to go to the ball.”

“Louis, you embarrass me just by looking at you. You will not go to the ball.” Verna said with a frozen heart. Tears hit Louis’ cheeks.

“Wait, mother. He doesn’t look that bad.” Zayn said, picking Louis up by his shoulder. “Wonder where he got this great suit from?” Zayn tugged the arm of Louis’ jacket, forcing the sleeve to detach from the shoulder. Louis gasped.

“And mother,” Liam joined in. “Look, he’s even combed his hair.” Liam shook his hands through Louis’ hair, pulling some out in the process. Louis screeched in pain.

“Stop!” Louis cried. Zayn ripped the other sleeve and Liam tore the collar of his shirt. They went on and on destroying Louis until Verna stepped in to stop them.

“Boys, please.” She pulled them away from a destroyed Louis. “We’re going to be late.” She turned them towards the door and let them walk out. “As for you.” She turned back to Louis. “Get rid of these rags. You have no use for them.” She plucked a scrap of fabric off his shoulder and put it in his hand. She kissed his cheek and walked out the door. Louis closed it behind her.

Louis ran out to the garden in the back of the house. He took off the suit jacket and threw it in the bushes, kicked off the shoes and threw them into the fountain, and stuck his head in the water and screamed. He cried and cried. He considered going over to Miss Cox’s house for comfort, but she was probably at the ball, too.