Chapter 21

Hirokazu

I leant foolishly, heavily against the railing of the room I watched people dance. I felt my feet swing as the princess's words rang through my head. I had no idea that she lived such a life, that that was how she met her other half. "Are you feeling any better?" Tsuna stood behind me and to my left. She tilted her head her side and grinned toothily.

I laughed and shook my head. I had no idea that just...releasing, could feel so good. I felt years younger. Tsuna laughed along with me, she leant against the railing next to me and finished her laughing with a short chuckle. "I was hoping to get a smile out of you."

I stared her, offended. "I smile all the time!" I said, objecting openly.

Tsuna smiled that smile that was my father peeking through. I swallowed away the emotion and raised my eyebrows. "Not like a child you don't, not in the time I've been here." She said, her face still beaming. I tried not to act uncomfortable and started walking down to the right, my hand brushing the railing absently.

"I talked with princess, and she helped me...understand some things."

Tsuna raised her eyebrows and then saw the light in my eyes as I turned, her face melted to a guarded expression. "What did she tell Hirokazu?"

"To surrender is to accept, to give in is to understand. Understand and accept that your other half thrives off of your existence." I murmured.

Tsuna looked shocked. "Where did she hear that...?" She muttered to herself.

I shrugged and grinned. "I still have my doubts..." I said sadly, almost as if I was ashamed to admit it. I couldn't exactly wait three seconds and then go 'okay, yup—no more doubt!' It was hard enough letting go of the fact that there was no one out there for me.

Tsuna walked up to my side, her steps quick and deliberate. "You have to remember the river, okay Hirokazu?" She said.

I jolted, memories running through my mind. When all I could think of was a river rushing and rushing, growing higher. Swallowing me as someone called out my name. Agonised, pain rippling down my spine. I shuddered.

Tsuna smiled and grasped my hand. "They will not jump in front of a bullet for your, they will grab you and pull you both to safety."

I looked at her and gaped. "You agree with Anja?"

Tsuna shook her head. "I think she has a large amount of knowledge, especially about the things you've experienced and the things you long for." I nodded as I tried to understand what she was saying. She didn't agree, but she was comparing her knowledge to my own experiences?

Tsuan laughed and clapped me on the back. "Don't look too confused!" She cried out, I snorted and brushed her shaky hand off of my shoulder.

"I'm only human." I said. I blinked and stared at her in shock, she locked her gaze with mine and her gaze widened. "Am I really?" I asked.

Tsuna placed a hand over my heart, the one that longs for someone to understand it. The most vulnerable. "You are a human as you can be." She said simply.

I nodded and turned away. I frowned, something was off. "Can you smell that?" I asked quietly.

Tsuna frowned and sniffed the air. We shared another look and I nearly shouted in utter disbelief.

"Fire!"

I raced immediately to the garden. Yatsu was yowling loudly, she was just sitting inside her wooden hides hole as the flames on the roses and daises grew larger. "Yatsu!" I shouted, her ears pricked up and I watched as she wiggled her way out of her gradually warming den and bounded over to me.