HYPERMANIA

My fingers trail loosely over the gravel. The grit sticks under my nails and to the fabric of my clothes. The pleasant smell of freshly-cut grass infiltrates my senses. I'm sitting cross-legged against the outer wall of the house, a tranquil silence lying over the scene. The sun is well up, but with the dense grey clouds wafting over its brilliance it might as well be dawn. 

My ears are pricked for any sign of life from inside, but there's nothing. Yes, you guess rightly. I, Vernice Demir, regretfully sheltered and 'perfect' daughter, am sneaking out of the house. Go figure.

Farley should be here soon.

It's now been almost a fortnight since she joined my class. We've been hanging out more often in the last week, sticking to each other in lessons and at lunch. Much to the displeasure of Kat and Chris. Kat seems predisposed to hate on Farley, her excuses ranging from the blue streaks in Farley's hair to her fishnet tights. Chris is more reserved, but no less cautious. I suspect her distaste of Farley has to do with the fact that it appears as though I'm choosing Farley over them. Which I'm not.

Am I?

I pull out my phone on instinct, opening our group chat. Named 'bitches'. Three guesses who chose the title.

I don't know where I am with Kat. It's complicated. She's horrible sometimes, and if there's any one reason for why I'm unable to look at myself in the mirror for more than a minute I'd put it on her. And yet still, still, I can't help but ignore it. Ignore it all. When I think of Kat, the first thing I feel isn't her sniping and insults, it's our childhood and cherished memories. It's begging our parents to buy us ice creams after school, it's swimming together at the beach, it's deciding unanimously to let Chris join our friend group. And I don't know which side of the scale is heavier.

Vernice: Heyy. What's up?

Chris: Hi! We just got a puppy!

Kat: Wait, what?

Vernice: I second that. What the hell, Christina????

Chris: Shut it, Ravenclaw

Kat: Please, if V's a Ravenclaw then I'm a Hufflepuff

Vernice: Girl, you are a Hufflepuff. Stop lying to yourself

Chris: ~ why you always lying ~

Kat: OK but real talk. Puppy?

Chris: IKR! I can't believe I managed to convince my mum. Also we adopted him like a week ago, I just wanted to keep it as a surprise for when we go out

Vernice: Not a valid excuse, sister, seeing as we haven't planned to go out anytime soon

Chris: Vernice, you living under a rock?

Vernice: Last I checked, no

Kat: It's my birthday next week, V

Vernice: I knew that!! I just didn't realize Chris was talking about that

Chris: ~ why you always lying ~

Kat: Anyway. V, are you free today? I'm on my period and need attention. Also bubble tea.

Bubble tea. The bane of my existence. Kat introduced me to taro milk tea last summer, and I ended up finding a new drink addiction.

Vernice: I'm sorry, I'm going out shopping with my mum today.

Kat: Oh well. Sucks to be you.

I'm not quite sure what to say to that, and end up pushing the phone back into my pocket. Oh well, sucks to be you. Yeah, it does, not that you'd care. What was she even referring to? If it was a general statement I'd be quite gratified that she knew me so well. But it was in response to me and my mum hanging out, and that boils my blood.