JEALOUSY

Hey… wasn’t sure if you would show.” Alex said to me when I exited the car.  He had been waiting outside on the sidewalk.  Behind him was a large mansion, not unlike my fathers. The Uber car sped away and finally I was at my destination.

“You look happy,” he noted.

“I’m happy to party, for once in my life.”

He laughed out loud, “Well we’re in middle school, wait till we get to high school and we mix alcohol and cigars.” He jerked his head towards the mansion. “You ready to go in?”

The estate was huge and we passed several hallways and walked deep into it before we finally arrived to the indoor swimming pool. There was already a nice crowd and almost everyone there went to my school.

Not that we were friends. Sadly, being a mob princess didn’t really allow social calls that weren’t scheduled by my father. But I took comfort in the fact that they weren’t complete strangers.

“Why don’t you change into your bikini, the bathroom is over there past those doors,” Alex murmured into my ear and pointed to the back of the pool.

Exiting the bathroom with my bikini finally on, my eyes searched the room for Alex, but he was nowhere in sight. However, Amanda from my 3rd period class was sitting by the pool with a few other girls. Their legs were in the water and they were chatting away, having a good time.

Deciding to make the first move I approached them.  “Hey…mind if I join you?” 

Amanda’s head swung around to face me completely and the girls stopped their chit-chat. The expressions they shot me were almost comical. It was obvious they were in shock.

“Isabella…how weird,” Amanda said slowly.

Should I be insulted? My lips twitched up and I offered a smile. “Why is it weird? Alex invited me.”

Another girl whose name I didn’t know raised her eyebrows and snorted. “Yeah, well Alex has been drooling over you since last year. Of course he invited you.”

That was funny. I laughed. Yes Alex did like me but I didn’t know everyone else knew it too. It was almost embarrassing.

“Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude… it’s just weird you actually came. You never go to any of the school events, let alone any of the parties… and you’re kinda socially awkward. Plus, you always have two weird guys following you around.” She had a ‘duh’ expression.  She was completely right.

But did that mean I was unwelcomed?  “Yeah those guys work for my father. Anyway, I thought it could be fun to come out today…” My feet shifted awkwardly.

“Are you going to get in the water?” Amanda asked as her eyes roamed my body and a look of approval amplified in her eyes.

Before my response came, another girl from the group cut in. “Oh my god you guys Anthony Romero is so fucking hot.” She practically squealed with delight.

But her words stopped my dead in my tracks. My eyes looked up sharply and landed on the source. I felt like I had just been sucker punched in the belly. How the hell did she know Anthony? 

“What?” I managed to get out, suddenly I was on edge.

She smirked. “He’s dating my cousin…they have been on again-off again for like a year but she just posted a picture with him on Instagram.” The girl had a silly little smile, her eyes were mischievous.  Had she been talking about anyone other than Anthony Romero I might have even thought she was pleasant.

As it was, it took all my will-power not to scream bloody murder.  It wasn’t helping that I actually could put a hit on her if I wanted to.

My eyes narrowed suspiciously….did they somehow know? Was this some type of practical joke?

But the girl stood, her beautiful body delicately walking to me casually. She handed me the phone and my hands reached out of their own accord. Sucking in an almost desperate breath, my head slowly inched downwards until the picture was in my sight. Time seemed to stop and cease in that moment. Raw anger rippled through me unexpectedly. Rooted, my eyes couldn’t look away.

“Anthony is only the hottest millionaire in Los-Angeles. My cousin is so lucky to have met him at one of his clubs.”

Billionaire, I silently corrected.

I was absolutely horrified. Not because he was with a beautiful brunette who could basically be a Victoria Secret model. No, that much didn’t shock me, in fact it was even to be expected. What was horrifying and absolutely shocking was how every bone in my body tightened down to my very core. A rush of unexplained anger riveted though me. It was frightening. Why was I even feeling this way?  I didn’t even want to marry the man. Not to mention he was a murderer who ran an empire of crime.

I felt insulted at his public display with the brunette. And I had no idea why.

Anthony wasn’t smiling in the picture. In fact he looked pretty pissed and seemed to be scowling as his eyes stared into the camera. His hair was unruly and he was wearing a black T-Shirt.  His arm was draped around her and she was snuggled into his chest in a way that showed they were close lovers. It was obviously delusional and stupid to think he’d be loyal. Father wasn’t even loyal to my mother and they had been married over 15 years now.
Get a grip, Isabella. You’re here to have fun… who the fuck cares what that asshole does? He’s not really your boyfriend. He will never love you, might as well get used to it now. -

A knock sounded and then the door was pushed open slowly. “Isabella?” It was Alex.  “Amanda said it looked like you were freaking out…are you okay?” He was concerned.

-Yes. I am okay. I have to be.