Chapter Four

Was Julia Drusilla Minor the daughter of Caligula? Who could say? She had been born the day of her parents' marriage and both her parents had a certain reputation for looseness. She was a twelvemonth old, named after her deified aunt who would be four twelvemonths dead that twelvemonth.

In the room of Caligula and his wife Milonia Caesonia, Romulus looked down at the child in her cradle. He extended a hand and when the baby girl held onto it, he thought of what Claudius had said. "Sacrifices must be made." Sacrifice an infant? No, it could not happen, would not happen. As sure as Augustus' ichor flowed through his veins, Romulus would save Caesonia and her daughter or put an end to their killers himself.

"She likes you, Uncle!" Caligula said, looking over Romulus' shoulder. "She really truly likes you!"

"You named her after your sister..." Romulus commented, thinking back to what he had heard.

"Yes, Drusilla and I were always close." Caligula uttered. "She was the hostess to my host at banquets, always. Why rotate? Agrippina, Livilla and I were never close."

"Is what is said about you and here true? You once claimed so yourself." Romulus did not look away from Julia Drusilla Minor. He kept his eyes on the baby girl, his great-niece.

"Come now, Uncle Romulus, you are smarter than that! I may be a lustful god but I would never touch my sisters!"

"I am glad, Caligula." Romulus said, still not looking at his nephew. "Glad to hear that as bad as you are, you at least have some standards."

"Uncle, I am a god!" Caligula exclaimed, laughing with amusement. "You have no idea how good or bad I can be, mere demigod that you are!"