Chapter Nine

Beneath the palace in an underground corridor, Caligula stood before a troupe of actors. After looking them over with a turn of his head, he then walked around them all before stopping before them.

"You all look quite well-built for your roles." He began. "Your faces might not be much to look at but thankfully you'll be wearing masks. Now, this is to honor the Divine Augustus' victory at... Uh... Dear me, which was it? Uh, Naulochus? No, my maternal grandfather Marcus Vipsanius Agrippa was there, not my maternal great-grandfather the Divine Augustus." He tapped a finger on his chin for a moment before exclaiming: "That's it! Aracillum! This is to honor the Divine Augustus' victory at the Siege of Aracillum! I had better be pleased with what I see. I was not born to be displeased. I am Neos Helios, the New Sun! Do you know what happens when you do not please a god? No, of course not. You actors are all so lacking in intelligence all you know are the lines of your plays. If you displease a god you die and I have not yet decided whether or not I am going to have you crucified if you displease me or thrown to the beasts in the amphitheatre. Soon I will move to Alexandria where I will be worshipped as a god shall be. I shall no longer be simply Neos Helios, the New Sun. I shall be the strong bull, the light of the sun and the moon's rays. I shall be Emperor and ruler of rulers, beloved of Ptah and Isis. I shall be Caesar Germanicus living forever. I shall be all of those things all the time because I'll be living in Egypt! I shall live forever! I have no need for heirs! I am Jupiter, I am Neos Helios, I am ruler of rulers, beloved of Ptah and Isis! I am the New Sun I am the God of the Sky and Lightning! When you die your names will be forgotten but I shall live still! I shall usurp all other gods! The world shall worship only me in time! Already I have my high priests! I! Am! Caligula! First Citizen! Of Rome! Consul! Of Rome! Pharaoh! Of Egypt! I am the greatest leader and god the world shall ever know! The names of all past First Citizens, consuls shall be lost to history! The world shall know only me! I, Caligula! Son of Germanicus and Agrippina Major!"

Caligula did not continue after that. Cassius Chaera and his like-minded officers in the Praetorian Guard arrived. Like the Divine Julius Caesar, Caligula was stabbed thirty times by conspirators lead by a man named Cassius.

Cassius Chaera, three and fifty twelvemonths of age and dreaming of a time of chaos he had never known: the rule of the Consuls. Before the First Citizens had come to bring order to Rome, men had lived in fear of one another with the strong preying upon the weak. At least, that was what Cassius had told his fellow ringleaders. He knew that Marcus Vinicius and Lucius Annius Vinicianus both desired the position of First Citizen with neither wanting to share power with the other. There were like minded senators, the senate was a corrupt group and each senator would be arguing for himself to be the First Citizen. So, Cassius thought, why could he not be First Citizen of Rome. He would be First Citizen and allow the chaos of the rule of the Consuls to return under him.

Looking down at the body of the man who thought himself a god, Cassius removed his helmet and hurled it down onto the lifeless front of Caligula. The nose broke but even after killing him and breaking his nose, it was not good enough for Cassius.

"Mock me, will you?" Cassius asked dead Caligula, his voice weak. He knelt down, grabbed the helmet he had just thrown down and the proceeded to bash Caligula's face with it. "Call me 'Venus' will you? Call me 'Priapus' will you?" He continued on like that until the cadaver was not even recognizable as Caligula. Somehow the face ended up resembling a crocodile, something that those present would have not thought possible. When all was done, Cassius stood up and looked at his men. "Caligula is dead but our mission is not yet ended! We must kill them all: Milonia Caesonia, Julia Drusilla Minor, Claudius, the whole blasted family! Do not differentiate from young or old, man or woman, adult or child, noble or evil! Wipe them out! Bash their skulls in! Just kill the Julio-Claudians and do it now! Now, let's have some fun!"