CHAPTER 8: (Unnamed)

1 Year Ago

“…As November edged closer, frost caused the cases of yellow fever to diminish, but only until the next summer. People began to return to their homes as the fever gradually subsided. While the yellow fever outbreak killed only a small portion of Philadelphia’s population, it was soon realized that those who survived were now living in a completely changed city.” Mr. Iverson concluded.  “Now, does anyone have questions?”

 A heavy atmosphere blanketed the cramped classroom. As the students sat gripped with fear, Samantha Dorchadas peered up at Mr. Iverson.

 “Mr. Iverson. Would you say that it is possible for something like the outbreak of yellow fever to happen again?”  She asked, speaking out of turn.

Mr. Iverson shot a look at her and cocked his eyebrow. “Well….Yes. A pandemic like that can happen at any moment without warning. The colonists didn’t have the technology, or the knowledge, to keep track of symptoms and cases, so the virus was allowed to spread at a rapid rate with little warning. We do now, however, have this technology, so I highly doubt the rate of infection would be as severe.” He paused. “Next time, please raise your hand, Ms. Dorchadas.”

Her hand shot up in the air. Mr. Iverson sighed in response “Another question?”

“I assume you watch the news, Mr. Iverson?”

“Sam, I am a US history teacher. Of course I keep track of the current events.”

“Well then, have you heard the recent reports of the H1N5 virus?”

“The bird flu? Yes, I have.”

 “If you really did pay attention, you would know that according to the world’s top researchers, the new, mutated form of the virus has the chance of being even worse than the yellow fever- even small pox.”

Mr. Iverson furrowed his forehead and clicked his tongue. “The outbreak of small pox was the most fatal disease that this world has ever experienced. It is unlikely something as severe would happen again, Ms. Dorchadas, especially with vaccines. “ He quipped. “Now please, save these questions for health and let me continue on with my lesson.” He turned to face the board as he hastily began to write notes with a dry erase marker. Paper rustled as the students flipped their notebooks to a new page. Lauren watched as Sam roll her eyes and sink into her chair- the only one with her binder still closed. She tapped her fingers and stared at the clock, shifting uncomfortably. Lauren met her eyes and smirked. Sam just shook her head.

It was then that the shrill sound of the bell pierced through the air. A wave of chatter echoed across the room.  Mr. Iverson cursed quietly under his breath and slammed the dry erase marker down, whipping back towards his students as they fumbled with the zippers on their back backs and chairs squeaked against the floor.  

“Don’t forget!” He spat. “Your papers on the influence of yellow fever in the colonial era are due promptly at the beginning of class tomorrow. I will not accept any late papers.”

Sam swept her things into her bag and slung it over her shoulder. The strap was ripped and threads peaked out in various places. There was a noticeable hole.  Yet, despite her mother’s repeated calls to get rid of the raggedy piece of fabric, she held onto it.  Lauren could not tell if she kept it as a cherished memento, or if she did it out of spite, to get on her mother’s nerves. There was no backing down.