Chapter 12: The Past Can Hurt

Kaya ran all the way home to her room. She slammed her door shut and paced back and forth trying to calm down. It wasn't working. She grasped her head with her hands and squeezed her eyes shut as the tears began to swell in her eyes. She let out a soft whimper before crumbling to the floor and resting against the side of her bed. She pulled her knees to her chest and continued to cry. It all came flooding back to her. The panic, the fear, the pain. All of it. She couldn't stop from reliving the worst memories of her past.

     Wyatt couldn't really sleep that night. Kaya had really hurt him. He never meant to anger her or annoy her, and now she hated him. At least, that's what Wyatt believed. The next day, he decided to try and get some answers. Who better to ask than Kaya's best friend: Addison? Wyatt hid by Kaya and Addison's house until he saw the white haired girl making her way to the front door. He quickly scrambled out of his hiding spot. Addison's eyes showed confusion as her eyebrows furrowed. Her footsteps slowed to a stop as she stared at the wolfboy. "Wyatt." She addressed the werewolf, still surprised to see him at the moment.
     "I need to talk to you. Please." Wyatt told her in a serious tone. Addison could sense a small hint of desperation in his voice. Addison nodded in acceptance without question. Wyatt gestured for her to follow him. She obliged and followed the werewolf to the Forbidden Forest. Wyatt stopped when they reached a fallen tree he, along with the other werewolves, would sometimes use as a hangout spot. He sat down on the tree trunk and looked to Addison to do the same. She could tell whatever this was about was important. Addison sat next to him but turned her body to face the werewolf and he did the same.
      "Is this about Kaya?" Addison guessed. "I can't persuade her to be the Alpha-"
     "No it's not that." Wyatt interrupted immediately. "But it is about Kaya." Addison tilted her head slightly at the wolfboy as he stared at the ground, memories seeming to replay in his mind. "The other night-the night we found out what Kaya really was, I saw her ring on the ground and decided to return it to her." He began to explain. Addison nodded in response before he continued. "When I climbed up onto her balcony, I saw her...crying." Addison's eyes filled with sadness at hearing her best friend was truly hurting more than she had let on. "She saw me on her balcony and let me in so I could give her the ring. She started to cry even more when she had the ring so I tried to comfort her-keeping in mind that she'd always seemed to be a little standoff-ish with me before." Addison looked away momentarily at that last part of his statement. It was as if she knew something that he didn't and Wyatt had no doubt that she did. "But she let me comfort her. She was actually comfortable with me-she confided in me and told me everything that was truly hurting her." He informed her, his words sounding as if he couldn't really believe it himself. Addison's eyes sparkled knowingly. "But yesterday....I found her in the woods and everything was back to square one." He said as he looked down at the ground. Addison's eyebrows furrowed slightly. "Every time I tried to reach out to her, she would pull away. She wouldn't even look me in the eyes, Addison." Addison gave him a sympathetic look. "I don't know what I did wrong. I was hoping....maybe you would know something?" Wyatt looked at Addison hopefully. Addison stared back, her eyes squinted slightly as if she was trying to decide what to tell him. She finally huffed before shifting in her spot as if she was preparing for something, and indeed she was.
     "Okay. I'll tell you." She told him. Wyatt straightened and listened intently for her next words. "But you have to understand, she's never told anyone but me-her parents were away so they didn't even know. That's how big this is, do you  understand?" She inquired seriously. Wyatt nodded immediately, sincerity filling his eyes. Addison let out a small sigh as a sad look took over her face. "Kaya grew up on the outskirts of town. Unfortunately, most of the people who live there, aren't the best, especially for Seabrook. Kaya had friends but, they weren't the best influence. It was only small trouble at first. She didn't see anything wrong with it at the time. Just some kids messing around." She took a moment to take and release a deep breath. "In that group of friends, was one particular guy that Kaya started to like. He seemed to like her as well. I mean, he constantly flirted with her and Kaya didn't mind it one bit. They started dating. But after a few weeks, Kaya started getting this feeling like he didn't truly like her. She tried to ignore it, assuming that she was just overthinking it. She really liked him Wyatt." She emphasized with sadness. Wyatt continued to stare at her, completely caught up in the story. Addison let out a forceful sigh before continuing. "He started getting into more trouble and Kaya was always there. Somehow, he had blinded her so much that she didn't realize he was using her. When he would steal from a gas station, he would use her as a diversion. Kaya did it because it made him happy. She thought it was making him like her even more. Eventually, the crimes started escalating to a point where Kaya knew she couldn't walk away unpunished. She realized she couldn't do it anymore. So she told him. She never expected it to anger him so much...but it did. So much that Kaya walked away with a black eye...and a broken wrist." Wyatt sat up even straighter as anger started to fill his eyes. "She never thought that the guy who she believed really liked her, would be the same guy to hurt her. Be the guy to break her heart into a million pieces and cause her to close up to everyone." Wyatt's eyes showed a hint of realization but they were still burning with anger. "He was the same guy that you rescued her from that night in the woods." Wyatt's eyes widened.
     "That was him?!" Wyatt questioned, utterly shocked. Addison nodded sadly.
     "Kaya has had a hard time opening back up to people ever since." Addison finished. Wyatt took a moment to go over the new information. A look a realization took over his face.
     "That's why she doesn't like when I touch her." Wyatt said slowly. Addison watched him silently as he continued. "Why she always seemed distant with me. She's afraid I'll hurt her." Wyatt looked up at Addison for her response. Addison nodded slowly. Wyatt huffed to himself, various emotions filling him at the same time. He cleared his mind long enough to thank Addison. "Thanks. I understand now." Addison gave a nod in response before standing up.
     "I have homework to do so I should get home." She announced. "Bye Wyatt."
     "Bye." Wyatt said quietly, not totally focusing on what she said. His mind was focused on Kaya. Addison could tell, so she just left him and headed home.