Chapter Two: A Fight to Remember

Germany passed by Neal's window in a blaze of alcohol, speed, and sleep. From Frankfurt he stumbled to Cologne, Hamburg, and now has ended up in Berlin. He woke up in a hostel in the middle of the city and checked his phone again. He rubbed his eyes to see if he saw it clearly, his brother had texted him. Wyatt wanted to know when he would talk to him and come back home. He was about to start his marching band season and wanted his brother to watch him one last time as Wyatt led his team. Neal looked at the ground in shame before stumbling into a local bar.

                Neal's POV
    As my eyes adjusted to the dim light I saw an open seat in a dark corner, I gladly sought refuge there. My mind wouldn't leave me alone. The failures of my past circled in my head like the ice in my glass. Kimmy's words, the short letter from the U.S Military Academy, the look on my team's face when we disbanded, all of it. It wouldn't go away, but three glasses in and it's starting to fade to a manageable point. I may call it an early night, the memories are fading, maybe I'll even explore the city tonight. But then I make that fatal mistake, looking at my phone. There it is, his face. James Wyatt Wheatley is my brother, and a much better man and person than I. He is the one person I love and who has always been there for me. Where am I? I'm at a bar thousands of miles away instead of supporting him. The pain cuts through the fog the whiskey created.
    I can't handle knowing what i've done so I ask the bartender for some Everclear, 160 proof. But before the pain and my consciousness fades the grey of my life see's some color for the first time in months. Tall, blonde, fit, and serious. That is what comes to mind when I see this German Woman come in. I can barely walk but I can still talk, maybe I can still enjoy my trip to Europe.

                Clarisse Muller's POV
    It's been a long day, but a good one. I just secured a position as an Intelligence Officer in the FSK, the German Army's premier special operations unit. I have one month to enjoy myself before I report in. I'm excited but tired. I put in a lot of work to get here, now it's time to relax. So I find myself heading to the local bar. After ordering a strong German pilsner I find my eyes looking around the bar.
    It's dimly, but comfortably lit. I see some teens drinking in a corner, probably relaxing after exams. I see some female tourists drinking fruity drinks, they seem french but I can't tell... I've never liked the french. In the corner I see a man drinking Everclear. He could be attractive if he didn't drink. His hair and beard were unruly, they would be a golden blond if it wasn't for the poor hygiene. His face was shallow and sunken, from the looks of it I would guess no sunlight or water in days. He had impressive muscles, but many were hidden by the weight he's gained from drinking. I was confused on why he did until he looked at me. The only thing that was untouched by the alcohol was his eyes. A sharp but beautiful blue. Looking at his eyes I understood, this man was deeply wounded, something deep inside of him had broken. I felt bad for him, as I began wondering what had caused it I saw him walk over.

                Normal POV
    Neal stumbled over to Clarisse before falling into the chair beside her. Neal asked if she wanted another drink. Clarise did want another drink but seeing what the alcohol and done to him politely declined. Undeterred Neal began to flirt, "My name is Neal. What's your name?" he loudly stammered. "Clarisse Muller, is that an American accent I detect?" she asked Neal softly. "Not American miss, it's southern. Like sweet tea and fried chicken." he responded with pride. "Well that explains the extra pounds." Clarisse whispered. "Extra weight has never hurt anyone, not that you would know.... You are perfect." Neal blurted out. "Mein Gott" Clarisse muttered. This was going to be a bigger issue than she expected.
    "Look Herr Neal, it was nice talking to you but I need to leave, I am reporting to the Army soon." Clarisse stated. Neal was taken aback and stupidly said "Why would you do that, their track record is quite poor." Clarisse was enraged and and quickly retorted with "Says the American, this is your second pointless war, at least I have the courage to fight. You can't even fight your demons." Neal staggered backwards both physically and mentally. Clouded by his pain and way too many drinks he stammered "Not afraid to end up on the wrong side of history again?". Clarisse was done with this rude American and shoved him into a wall.
    Neal had been in many fights up to this point, both drunk and sober. Clarisse was significantly lighter than him, so he wasn't worried, but he also didn't want to hurt a woman. This thought quickly faded when she jabbed him in the ribs, causing him to move backwards. He threw a punch which was easily dogged, but his kick wasn't. Clarisse flew backwards into the pool table. Endowed with new confidence Neal smirked and walked towards her to finish the fight. Clarisse put her arm up to defend herself. Neal stopped thinking the fight was over, but failed to see her leg sweeping his. Neal hit the ground with a thud and tried to get back up. Drunk, he fell over again but not before landing a jab. Clarisse was done with this fight and stopped holding back. She pinned Neal with her foot before landing a myriad of blows with her elbows and palms. The life quickly began to fade from Neal's eyes. Before she could do any more damage Clarisse was restrained and pulled off of Neal by two strong men.

                Neal's POV
    I have never been beaten, I have never been knocked down so quickly either. But here I am, on the floor in a bar thousands of miles from home. All I see now is Clarisse's boot coming down over and over again. I can tell I have a concussion. I can also tell if this doesn't end soon I'll die, but hey, I deserve it. Right before I give up, I see two men grab Clarisse. The last thing I see before I pass out is the writing on their shirts. "Sua Sponte".