Apple Fest

The Autumn Apple Festival is being held in the woodland area just outside the village. I go with Gran. Grandad is staying at home, he's been having more bad days than good something just isn't right, I can't put my finger on it though. We drive through the entrance and there's hand painted signposts, ribbons hanging from trees and large crates of apples near the entrance from the local farmers.
Gran parks up. 'You Grab the table, Charlotte, I'll carry the baskets.' 
I open the boot and struggle to slide the large table out. How on earth does she expect me to carry this? Thankfully I see Lily and Jackson and call them over.
'Oh good!’ Gran claps her hands together. 
I'm not sure if she's being sarcastic or not, I know what her opinions are on Jackson and Lily. She picks up Two wicker baskets off the backseat of the car and thrusts them in Lily's direction without saying a word. 
Lily takes the baskets and sarcastically smiles. 'Of course, Mrs Foster, I don't mind helping you at all.' 
Gran shoots lily a disapproving look but doesn't say anything, she's too busy watching Jackson who edges closer to me and whispers. 
‘I've missed you.’ Into my ear as he helps me get the table out.
 ‘Get moving all of you!’ Gran says sternly fanning us away from the car with her hands. 
Jackson and I both take an end of a table each and make our way past the other stalls looking for a space to put the table down. There are stalls with demonstrations on how to make your own apple juice, stalls selling items such as bowls and cutlery made from wood. Along with stalls selling homemade cake from the local WI. Halfway down the row, we spot Willow, her table stands out from all the rest. Covered in a dark blue velvet fabric. She's got all sorts of stock from the shop and some of Jackson's artwork. 
‘Mum's been annoying kids.' Lily says, turning her head back towards Jackson and me. 'Every time a kid walks past with sweets, Mum tries to sell them watermelon slices, and tells them how much healthier it is.' 
Jackson stops and puts his end of the table down on the grass, and he begins rubbing his ear. 
'Uh, Jack, what are you doing?' Lily says giving him a strange look. 
'Rubbing my ear, it's itchy. It feels so good when you get the itch doesn't it? ‘It's like ear sex.’
Lily rolls her eyes and I can't help but giggle. 
'Stop mucking about! I've found us a spot!' calls Gran pointing at a patch of grass, right across from Willow’s stall. 
Jackson helps me get the table up, Gran and Lily then starts unloading the harvested vegetables and putting up the price signs. 
‘Charlotte, run back to the car and grab the fold up chairs will you.’ Gran chucks me her keys. 
On the way, back to the car I spot Dylan, he sees me too and walks over. 
‘Hi.’ he says now walking beside me.
‘Hi.’ I reply. 
‘Listen, Charlie about the other week…’ 
‘Don’t worry about it.’ I reply I’m still hurt by what Dylan said, but for the sake of Jackson’s friendship with him, I’m willing to forget about it. 
‘Start again?’ he asks.
‘Sure.’ I nod at him. 
 I unlock Gran's car and pull out the folded-up chairs.
‘Here.’ Dylan says, taking both chairs. 
‘I’ll carry them for you.’ Dylan carries both chairs back to Gran's table for me.
Both Lily and Jackson’s faces beam when they see that Dylan and I are talking again. Gran has me selling her vegetables, while every so often widening her eyes in Willows direction and shaking her head. Willow notices a few times but gives Gran a friendly wave each time. Willow clearly has a knack for letting things go over her head. I stay the evening as planned, Willow grabs some chairs from the van and we all sit huddled under blankets. The evening atmosphere is more chilled, people are sat on blankets in front of the make-shift stage. Everyone is freezing but it doesn’t bother us. 
Jackson and Dylan sound great when they play together as a two-some. Jackson isn’t much of a singer, but Dylan makes up for that, as his voice is fantastic. After their set, someone lights a fire and dishes out marshmallows on apple tree twigs and we sit round roasting them and sipping hot chocolate in tin mugs that Willow has made for half the field in the back of her van. Cathy the goat is eating veg from a box that Gran forgot to take back with her, and Mystic the cat is curled up at Lily’s feet. 
It’s a perfect evening.