thirteen

☀︎☀︎☀︎

Loki wasn't particularly pleased about being in pain and the incessant beeping coming from the foreign machine next to his bed was irritating him very much.

It had gone off the moment he'd torn off the tubes those idiotic humans had stuck up his nose and wouldn't shut up, but he couldn't do much about it—he was shackled to the bed and his reach wasn't far enough to rip the machine apart. Just as he was trying to get to it again, his fingertips slightly brushing the edge, the door opened and suddenly the pain he was in, the cuffs that restrained him nor the irritant of sound were enough to scratch at his nerves like the man that stood in the doorway.

"Loki."

The god of mischief watched as his brother walked into the room, closing the door behind him and standing at the foot of his bed with his arms crossed and that unbearably stern expression on his face.

"What is," he said suddenly, tugging at his cuffs, "the meaning of this? I am weak and frail. Surely there is no need for me to be bound."

"You attacked Earth."

"They haven't gotten over that yet?"

"Be serious," Thor snapped, "not only are you responsible for the death of hundreds and the wreckage of a city, you held Agent Rogers as your prisoner for three days."

"Really? It felt like I was the prisoner," he mumbled under his breath.

"Loki."

He rolled his eyes with a loud groan and let his head drop back against the pillow lazily.

"If I knew my actions would result in a lecture, I never would've done it," he said, keeping his tone casual as he knew doing so would infuriate his brother.

"When the time comes, I will take you back to Asgard and Odin will deal with you," Thor demanded. "The only good to come out of this is the Tesseract being safely returned to the king's vault."

"Did you not tell the miscreants that I'm perfectly capable of healing myself?" Loki swiped at the still beeping contraption in vain with a hiss of anger.

"Your abilities have been an enormous fascination amongst the field of healers here and they insisted on examining you. Who was I to stop them?" He raised a brow in amusement as the god of mischief strained for it once more before giving up entirely.

"I am not your entertainment."

"No. The only reason we're still here is because someone wants to speak with you and I had no say in deciding whether or not that would happen."

Thor looked a little annoyed about that, but Loki merely chuckled, relaxing into his bed.

"I see you've finally met the wall of damned stubbornness they call Moonshadow," he said with a slight smirk.

"She'll be here soon," was all Thor could say before he walked out, leaving behind the god of mischief to stare at the door in disgust before lunging fruitlessly at the cursed machine that continued to beep, oblivious to its attacker.

——————-

"Thank you."

Willow smiled at the attendant and the woman returned it before quietly leaving the room. Steve had come in just as she was done assessing the young woman and he nodded at her in passing.