waltzing in serenity ✩ afterdeath

In which our two enamoured protagonists share a dance of love and joy — although one is quite appalled at the thought of a short prance around the ballroom.

as requested by Pinkamena2018

When the classical band in the ballroom started playing the waltz, Geno suddenly wished he had stayed at home instead of accompanying Reaper to this place.

A week in advance, Reaper had been invited to a small fancy dinner by some of his guardian friends. Considering that the recipient of this unexpected request only had one partner in mind for the scheduled dance, he naturally asked Geno to attend alongside him.

Geno, not realising the dreadful situation that awaited him, agreed.

He didn't know how to dance.

Geno sighed in frustration, fiddling with his scarf (which he insisted he wore, although it may not look very appealing with a tuxedo). What kind of dance partner could he be if he didn't know a single basic dance step? He could barely perform a graceful spin, let alone an entire waltz sequence.

He internally cursed himself for not watching some sort of tutorial video beforehand.

Geno bit into one of the quiches he had put on his plate and observed the dance floor. Many of the couples were frolicking away, including Nightmare, who had brought Outer along because they knew how to dance properly. The two were gliding gracefully across the ballroom floor, the star studded skeleton gently leading the guardian in their dance in fancy dress.

(He also spotted Ink, who was desperately trying to coax Error out to dance with him. It wasn't working.)

The scarved skeleton glanced downwards at his own two feet. Two talentless pieces of his being, unable to move as nicely as those upon the dance floor.

This party was a waste of his time.

"My dear Geno, is something bothering you?"

Geno averted his gaze to his right, resting his eyes upon the very man who had invited him along to this party. Reaper, dressed in a simple suit and a modest navy bow tie, took a mini chocolate cupcake from the table of food and popped it in his mouth. His expression made it seem like he didn't have a care in the world.

Geno savoured the rest of quiche (bacon and cheese, as expected of Ink's cooking skills) before replying. "I'm feeling fine. Just a bit hungry, that's all."

Reaper dipped his head in acknowledgement. "Are you enjoying the food?"

"You bet I am."

Reaper donned his signature cool smile, then extended his hand as a quiet invitation. "Well, I hope you aren't enjoying it too much," he chuckled, "because it's time for us to dance."

Oh.

Geno stared at the hand held out to him. It reminded him of some kind of portal leading to impending doom, or a tragic scene in a fantasy romance where a hero falls off a cliff while their lover reaches out for them. Surely that meant that this dance would end in failure.