Prolouge

"As we go on,

We remember,

All the times we,

Had together."

           --------------------------------------------------------

        I've always hated graduation. I don't understand why people are so happy-go-lucky about leaving their friends. What does graduation even do? Give us a false hope that things will get easier? Cause' I can assure you, it doesn't.

        Graduating elementary, yippee! I can finally get away from, annoying teachers, boring classes, and get to, oh wait.  More annoying teachers and their boring classes. The only thing is, middle school is the place where hormones become apparent on our otherwise clear faces; where our genitalia get a mind of their own; where friendships fade.

             My school had a tradition of making this day the most awkward thing you could've ever imagined. One year, the graduating class had to slow dance on the stage, while the crowd had to sing the generic 'friends forever' song aloud. Well, this year, we had to do a flash mob. A. Freaking. Flash. Mob. 

We had to walk down the aisle, where some little kid stuck his foot out at the exact moment me and Luke, my partner in crime,  came out. Thankfully, Luke helped me up and we walked onto the stage. 

           We sat down alphabetically by our last names, Luke sat down two seats away from mine, and since my last name's Hartley, I had to sit in between Evan Harper and Tessa Havery, who also happened to be dating. I shuddered at the thought. Who actually dates in grade five? I bet her parents don't even know. If my mom found out I even held hands with another boy, other than Luke, I'd be disowned faster than Kim Kardashian's first marriage.  

I glanced at Luke, scowling. He shrugged his shoulders, obviously trying not to laugh.

As Mrs. Kellis, our principal, got ready to hand out the 'diplomas', our valedictorian said her speech. I rolled my eyes at the nearly identical string of words said every year. Her speech consisted of, 

"These moments are the times we'll never forget."

  Also,

"Blah, Blah, BLAH, said some inspiring person."

And most importantly,

"And to my fellow graduates, I think we can all agree that though we may be going our seperate ways, we'll always remember our friendships that started here."

Finally Alice Lee stepped down, handing Mrs. Kellis the mic, and in turn, Mrs. Kellis handed Alice her diploma.  

        "Sandra  Ali," She started off, "Sandra wants to be remembered as the girl who always smiled, even when her cheeks started to hurt." But as she was walking towards her diploma, I swear, I saw a hint of a frown. 

Many names past until Evan Harper got called up. Apparently he wanted to be known as the 'Amazing boyfriend'. I heard Ella sigh in relief, probably because he didn't mention her name. Also,  I didn't know that having one relationship that started from a game of Spin the Bottle, qualified you for that title.

This was the moment. The moment where the past 6 years of my life would finally pay off.

"Ella Hartley," I stood up, and trudged to the front, "She wanted to be remembered as the girl who didn't want to write the thing she should be remembered for." I smiled innocently at the crowd. 

I shook her hands, and sat back down. How climactic.  I only waited about 30 seconds, until Luke's name was called. I winked at him, as he looked at me, causing him to snort, and shake his head. 

"Luke Hemmings would like to be remembered as the-" Luke cut off our dear principal, taking the mic and his diploma.

"I would like to be remembered as Luke Hemmings, the guy who was the brains of the Troublesome Two." He winked at me as he sat down.  30 or so more names passed, till the music started. Once everyone was at the front of the stage, Luke and I ran backstage, grabbing the buckets of water we've hidden days before. We tied them to the curtains, so that when Andy the stage manager, who was coincidentally in the bathroom,  had to pull the curtains back down, our fellow graduates would be drenched. We ran back, and seamlessly started to dance, blending in perfectly. 

I spotted Andy from the corner of my eye, ready to pull the rope of the curtains. I subtly nudged Luke, forcing us to move back, as the last line of the music faded. I then smirked as Andy innocently pulled the rope, drenching the bowing students. 

Now, that's how you leave elementary.

------------------------------------------

As me, my mom, and my brother walked out of the gym, we headed over to the Hemmings. Luke's Mum, Liz, congratulated me, then talked to my mother. I loved Liz, she was like my second mum.

        "I'm so upset that you and Luke won't be going to the same middle school,"  She frowned. I mirrored her, then looked at Luke. My mom continued to talk to Luke's parents, while I took Luke's arm, and dragging him to the bench.

"Wait, you're not going to Oakwell?" I asked incredulously.

"No, I'm going to Hillcrest, didn't I tell you?" He furrowed his eyebrows.

"No," I tilted my head down.

        "What did I tell you about looking down? It's going to make your face sag." Luke said, trying to lighten the mood, " Come on Ellie, what are you thinking about?"

"It's just that, we, are the Troublesome Two, right?"

"Always have been," He smiled.

"Well, How are, since we're going to different schools, How are we still gonna be- I don't know, us?"

"We'll always be us." He said tilting my chin up.

"But what if you meet someone else, and replace me?"

"You're irreplaceable Ellie," He smiled a sorrow-full smile.

I raised my pinkie in front of my face, my bangs covering my sorrow-filled eyes.

"Promise?"

As he wrapped my pinkie with his, I tugged his body towards mine, embracing him as his pizza scented aroma rushed through my nose for the last time.

"I promise."

-------|A/N|--------      

That was the prolouge of 'The Vows of the Troublesome Two', I hope you liked it, so... Stay tuned for more! 

P.S. Chapters will be much longer :)