//Chapter 1|Gotta get Out//

Saying my first day of middle school sucked, is an understatement. It was like a game of truth or dare. You didn't expect it to be good, but you didn't expect for it to be so bad. Everyone here either knew each other, or quickly made new friends, leaving me alone to fend for myself in the treacherous halls of Oakwell Middle School. The only thing keeping me from stuffing myself in my locker, was that Luke and I were having movie night.

        Then came time for lunch, which was harder then I had expected. I had no one to sit with. This was no problem during elementary. Since Luke was friends with many people, and I was his best friend, I had no trouble on who to sit with during lunch. 

       Instead of eating in the cafeteria, I found an empty bench outside, and sat down. Sighing, as I started to eat. Until, water soaked my head, making me groan. Of course. It had to rain right now. Packing my food away, I headed inside, to my locker. Wait, What was my combination again? Darn' it. 

        Was it 23, 4, and then 67? Or 67, 4 and then 23? I tried them both, to no avail, then sunk down onto the dusty floor. You've got to be kidding me.

        My next class was starting in five minutes, I'm soaked, and my binders were in my locker. Groaning, the bell rang making me shove my face into my hands.  After about 3 minutes I heard footsteps down the hall, followed by a voice.

        "Hey, what are you doing in the halls?" The stupid hall monitor interoggated me.

        "My locker won't open," I said, giving up.       

        "That's the oldest trick in the book," He smirked.

        "What book?!" I groaned in exasperation.

        "Don't raise your tone at me Young Lady." 

        "Young lady? You're only a grade older than me." I raised my eyebrow.

       "That's it. You're going to the principal's office."

        "I didn't even do anything!"

        "Skipping Class is not nothing, the last time I checked."

        "I'm not skipping class! My books are in my locker, and I forgot my combination!" I said waving my arms around for effect.

        "Yeah, sure." He dragged me into the principal's office. 

        "Ms. Hartley, first day of middle school, and already in trouble?" He frowned.

        "I forgot my locker combination." I stated calmly, ignoring my raging emotions.

        "Why didn't you come before lunch ended?"

        "Well first of all, I was eating. Second of all, I found out after the bell rang." I lied.

        "I've been working at this school, for 25 years," He stated it like it was his most crowning achievement, "and I can assure you. I've heard that excuse, at least seventy times."

       I groaned realizing that he was never going to believe me, "Can I go now?" 

        "You have detention. Today after school, until 5 pm."

       "For what? Forgetting my locker combination?" I asked, astonished. I was going to be late to my movie night, for forgetting 4 freaking numbers.

        "No, for lying, and skipping class." 

        "Fine, whatever." I took the pink slip, and headed out.