New Generations (Part 1)

The hallways were strewn with the bodies of the fallen. The king and the warlock stepped amongst them trying not to step into any blood or guts that spilled on the floor.

The scene before them was sorrowful and horrific as they saw the remains of the innocent who were so mercilessly slaughtered.

Arthur and Merlin continued to make their way in the dark towards the royal chambers but then a ray of sunlight shone through the glass panes of the window causing the men to stop.

They looked at each other in the light of this single ray, a sense of peace and calm came over them even if they knew that this may not be over.

The light would always defeat the darkness.

They stepped towards the window to gaze outside and what they saw brought about a sense of comfort and relief. For the enemy had retreated and Arthur's people were coming home. The king released a sigh that seemed to be lodged in his heart for a very long time.

Arthur let out a breathy chuckle and clapped Merlin on the shoulder. "Our people are safe," Arthur smiled at his friend. "Come on, let's get to Guinevere."

They turned away from the window and continued towards the queen.

"Arthur," Merlin said, stopping his friend.

"What is it now?" asked Arthur.

Merlin sighed before continuing, "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for not telling you and Gwen about your child. I'm sorry for the pain I've caused you." He dropped his head in shame.

Arthur scoffed slightly, "Merlin."

The warlock looked up.

"You have awful timing. I mean of all times now is when you want to stop and have a conversation," said Arthur sternly but there was a hint of a smile.

Merlin huffed in anger and started to walk away. He was trying to make it right and this clot pole decides to make a big, fat joke.

"Merlin," Arthur chuckled lightly, stopping him with his hand. "I was just trying to lighten the mood but in all seriousness I forgive you."

Merlin's expression changed from that of annoyance to relief.

"I understand why you did what you did," Arthur continued. "I'm not angry, just disappointed that you felt the need to hide something so important from us. But I know you, Merlin. I know that you will never intentionally harm me or my family. However, as good as your intentions may be, let's promise to be transparent with each other in the future."

A small, grateful smile graced the warlock's lips. "Thank you, Arthur," he replied. Arthur returned his smile with a slight nod.

"After all," Arthur said, "You're the only friend I've got."

Merlin's eyes brightened with mischief as he replied, "And you couldn't bear to lose me?"

Arthur rolled his eyes. "Don't push it," he replied cheekily.

They grinned at each other as they ran off to the chambers.

******

The doors opened in haste frightening the occupants within the room.

"Guinevere!"

"Gaius!"

Arthur and Merlin said simultaneously. They ran to their loved ones.

Guinevere reached out her hands to Arthur in a gesture of the need for comfort. Without hesitation he ran to his wife's side holding onto her as she sobbed. Axel had stepped away to give the royal couple some space.