Chapter 5

Henri knew at once that the conversation would be serious. After ordering the servants not to disturb him, the master of the house and his guests occupied the office.

- So. What questions may the special department have for me?

- Your job is to catch people in this world and send them back to their world. Isn't that right?

- That's right. But I take it you're not here to ask about my work, am I right?

- You're very perceptive. It's not for nothing that you hold the position of head of border control within the Thirteen Crowns.

- I'm very grateful for your praise, but still. What brings you to me?

- The Special Branch has some speculation, and we need to verify it. So I have a small favor to ask of you.

- A request?

- Exactly. We'd like to ask you not to interfere with the investigation.

- Stay out of it? But that's my job.

- Mr. Henri - the tone of the speaker became a little lower and rougher - we ask you. By the way, how is your daughter?

Henri was silent because he took the hint at once.

- She is well.

- It's wonderful. I hope she will continue to delight you with her achievements. Well, we'll be on our way. Have a good evening.

The two men said their goodbyes, leaving the head of border control alone.

- Shit! They'll threaten me again.

- Dad? Everything all right?

- Amelie? Yeah. I'm fine. So have you decided what you're going to wear to school?

- Honestly, no.

- I don't think so. Then go with the servants to the store and pick something up.

- Really?

- Yeah. It wouldn't hurt to take your mind off things.

- All right, then. I'll go then.

- Yeah.

Amelie, in the company of two maids, went to a clothing store. After buying several outfits, the red-haired girl returned home in high spirits. The evening greeted the young demoness with warm sunshine and a slight breeze through the open window. Getting ready for bed, Amelie thought about how to meet Iruma as soon as possible. She fell asleep quickly. In the morning she was greeted by an indistinct babble, the sounds of which came from the first floor. She got dressed and went downstairs. She saw a picture of several people in suits checking every square meter of their house with some kind of equipment. Henri gritted his teeth but did not interfere.

- Father? What's going on here?

- Amelie? It's nothing. Go upstairs and lock yourself in your room.

- Excuse me, Mr. Henri. But we must check on your daughter as well.

- What? The head of the house glinted red eyes.

- Oh, dear. There's no need to get so angry. We don't want any embarrassment, do we? So, please. It won't take long.

Even though the girl's father wasn't happy, there was nothing else to do.

- Amelie stand still.

- Huh? Okay.

The Special Branch officer began to move the device around the girl's body. In the arm area the device began to beep quite noticeably. The officer frowned with Henri. Amelie, on the other hand, stood there with misunderstanding.