XIV

"I have a question."

Dorcas, who had absentmindedly been twirling spaghetti around her fork in the bowl in front of her, lifted her head to look at her new friend opposite. She flashed a smile as she asked, "Would you like to share it?"
Ingrid shrugged slightly as she pushed her plate to the side and propped her elbows up on the table, "If I wanted to track down someone who works at the Ministry of Wizards... How would I do that?"

"Do you mean the Ministry of Magic?"
"I've no clue - probably." The blonde shrugged again.
As she sank into thought, Dorcas' eyebrows furrowed together and her arms folded across her chest. "Do you know what department they work for?"
"House-Elf Relocation. But that was roughly fifteen years ago." Ingrid stated

Dorcas sighed, "Oh, that's a small department. If it was law enforcement, we could scour the papers for Aurors but... I don't know... What's their name?"
"Theodore Horowitz."

And that was a moment of pure luck.

"Ho-Horowitz?" The girl blurted, "How do you not kno-you're in luck, Ingrid Temple. How many Horowitz's do you think there are working at the Ministry?"
Ingrid frowned, "At least one?"

Dorcas shook her head and let out a light laugh before explaining, "Leonard Horowitz was the Senior Undersecretary to the Minister for Magic about ten or so years ago... He worked in the Wizengamot until he retired about two years ago."
"Oh God, are you a fan of politicians?" Ingrid complained, "Because I might have to reevaluate having anything to do with you."

"That." She pointed at Ingrid, "Is really charming, but no. Leonard Horowitz is famous - you'd be hard pressed to find a wizard that doesn't know his name. Theodore Horowitz is probably his son."

"I know what you're going to ask and don't even bother." Ingrid held up a hand to signal that she didn't want any questioning regarding why she was searching for Theodore Horowitz.

Dorcas scoffed, "How is that fair? You get to ask me so many questions and I can't even ask you one?"
"Nobody said anything about fair."
"Is this something to do with your family?"

"That's obvious." Ingrid responded as she lowered her gaze down to the table.
Dorcas pursed her lips and took a deep breath before she continued, "Did you parents work with him? Is that why you know about him from fifteen years ago?"
Begrudgingly, Ingrid gave into the questioning and nodded her head as she explained, "Dumbledore told me."

Then, another brilliant thought occurred to Dorcas Meadowes. "Oh!" She exclaimed with a grin, "I don't know anyone who works at the Ministry, but I do know someone who may have connections."
"Who's that?"
"Remus Lupin." She answered, "His father works in the Ministry - for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. I'd imagine he knows the House-Elf Relocation office quite well."

It was very much as if the stars had aligned. For once, Ingrid felt as though she'd had a brilliant stroke of good fortune. She turned around to look towards the Gryffindor table to see if she could spot Remus sat anywhere, but to no avail.

Then she spotted James Potter walking down the room towards her.

"James!" Ingrid exclaimed, waving a hand through the air to draw his attention her way.
James paused in his tracks, and looked around the busy room as if a spotlight had suddenly shone on him and he was smiling out at an audience.
Ingrid called out to him again, and he finally spotted her and made his way over.

"How can I grace you with my presence this evening?" He asked with a cheeky grin and a raised eyebrow.
Ingrid glanced to Dorcas, then back to James and scoffed, "You could tell me where Remus is and then go away."