3

"Check it out!" One of the newer recruits ran over, his eyes suddenly flicking over and spotting her. She tilted her head. "Uh...Vince...that's her, right?"

"Yes," Vince said in a bored tone. He looked up at the recruit. "What is it?"

"Well, one of hackers down in section B got some intel regarding WCKD."

This got Vince's attention and he stood up. The recruit handed him a small device. "It's blueprints for something they're building or have already built. That and a bit of info on what it's for. Something for the kids they've been training."

Vince took the device, plugging it into the computer he'd been working on. She moved over to see what he was looking at. The recruit shuffled backwards nervously.

The blueprints he'd described came up on the computer. "Pods," Vince murmured. "To keep the kids unconscious for days, even weeks at a time? Why would they want to do that?"

"That's not the only thing," the recruit said. "One of these things," he pointed to a part of the pod near the top, "goes into their heads. Connects to their brains. Kind of gruesome, but Mary thinks it's the virtual reality they've been planning."

"These pods are the final product," Vince said. The recruit nodded. The former looked down at her. "What do you think?"

She paused, then sighed. A moment later, she stood up on two feet, rolling her shoulders. The recruit blinked.

"I think we should hack the virtual reality. If that's what it is," she said. "Mary has more info on it than anyone in the camp. She'll know the details."

"Hack the virtual reality and then what?" the recruit asked, seemingly forgetting his fear of her.

"Convince them it's not real," she responded.

"We should talk to Mary," Vince said. "Come on."

They left the computer lab, heading over to Mary's office where she was bent over something, goggles covering her eyes. She looked up when Vince knocked on the door frame.

"Ah, Vince, (Y/n)." She nodded to the recruit. "Thank you." He smiled shyly in return before backing out and scurrying off. "You saw the blueprints?"

"Yes," Vince said. "The pods?"

"To put the kids under," she confirmed, lifting the goggles from her eyes and turning fully to face them. "Ava seemed to doubt my commitment to the project when they started developing the finer details of the virtual reality, so I don't know everything, but I don't doubt that the children fully believe that the virtual reality is their reality."

"And they're trying to get their powers to manifest," Vince said, crossing his arms. He glanced at (Y/n). "Like yours."

"I went through a near death experience," she responded curtly. "That's the only reason they did manifest. My guess is that they're trying to traumatize the kids enough so that their powers show without actually bringing them close to or actually killing them."

"Yes," Mary said, nodding.

"So hack the 'reality," (Y/n) said matter-of-factly. "Create our own. Send one of us in. Send me in." Vince looked down at her. "I have my powers. It's not real."

"WCKD will attack you in any way possible," Mary said. "Once they identify you as a foreign signal, they will try and purge you. WCKD is not above traumatizing you to the point of destroying your brain."

"My powers will protect me," (Y/n) said. "The virtual reality was designed to bring them out, right? The damage done to their brains will automatically begin to heal once their powers show. That force is enough. It's what happened to me, right?"

"It's more complicated than that," Mary said softly.

"Point is: I have a better chance of surviving the virtual reality and all WCKD will throw at me to try and purge me," she replied. "I can do this, and it may be our best chance to reach the kids themselves."

"I don't-" Mary stepped over and put her hand on Vince's shoulder.

"She has a point," she murmured to him. He hesitated, then looked over at (Y/n), who stared up at him. He sighed.

"Alright," he said, stepping over to the younger female and putting his hands on her shoulders. "Set up the virtual reality. We'll send her in."

~

"I'll be fine," (Y/n) said quietly. Vince let out a soft breath.

"WCKD isn't above killing. And how do we know the kids will trust you? Be brave enough or willing enough to rebel? How do we know any of this will work?" She let out a chuckle.

"It's okay," she said. "I've got this. I have my powers, and I've got you ready to pull me out if anything goes sour. It's not real."

"But it's dangerous."

"I'm not worried."

"But I am!" Vince rubbed a hand down his face. "Look, I know you can handle yourself. You dragged yourself out of a pit with a gash in your stomach and a bullet in your shoulder, and you have incredible superpowers. But you're lying on a table with needles in your brain. It's a different kind of fight.

"And I need you here. We're spread thin and it won't be long before we have to relocate. WCKD is relentless. They'll come for us. They'll be coming for you."

"I know," (Y/n) sighed. "But we don't have a choice. I'm sorry." Vince shook his head.

"You're right," he said. He reached over and grabbed his gun, shoving a few extra bullets in the magazine before placing it in the gun and loading it. "But if WCKD messes anything up, I'll mess them up." (Y/n) laughed.

"I trust you on that," she said, standing up. She closed her eyes and when she next opened them, she stood next to Vince in a different form.

"Good," he said, putting his hand on her head. "Now let's go see what you'll be getting into."