Nightly Life: Part Two

Where's Chihiro?

I glance around the room, seeing only computer screens and tech. Figures, she is the Ultimate Programmer after all.

After finding nothing, I put my sleeping stuff on the floor and quietly call her name.

"Chihiro, where'd you go?" I ask. No response. "Chihiro? Hello?"

"I'm in here. I'm just having a quick shower." Chihiro's voice comes from beyond the bathroom door. Just as she says this, the water turns on and I sit down on her bed. It's the same as mine, but it smells like blueberry perfume. It's a comforting smell.

Chihiro finally walks out of the bathroom. She's wrapped up in a frog robe and has her hair up in a matching towel. 

"Hey. How was your shower?' I ask. She nods and says it was nice. She looks refreshed and satisfied.

"One second, I need to get dressed. Give me a second." Chihiro grabs a clean outfit and closes herself back up in the bathroom. Walking around in Chihiro's dorm, I feel a sense of superiority. I know it's kinda bad that I fell in love in like, four hours, but I don't care. I'm going to have an amazing night, I bet. 

Chihiro has some crazy-looking computers set up on her desk. She is the Ultimate Programmer, so it's definitely not a surprise, but this looks really complicated. 

"Interested in the computers?" I get startled. Chihiro's voice was coming from right next to my ear. Why is she so close to me?! I can feel her fingers curl around my shoulders and her chin rest on my left one. "They can be pretty fun to use, you know."

Chihiro's face is so close to me I can feel her smile. Just along with it, I feel my face get red hot. This is amazing...

"Joyu? Anyone in there?" she playfully giggles. "Knock knock. Can you hear me?" I snap out of my trance and nod.

"Yes, I'm good. What were you saying?" I ask. Chihiro lets go of me, stands in front of me and starts talking about her computer stuff.

Please don't let go. Come back...

"...and to accomplish that I used voice recognition and, get this, it spoke back to me! Almost like an alter ego of some sort. Anyway, my dad came in and was mad that I messed with his stuff, but was elated when he saw what I was doing. From that point on I was the Ultimate Programmer. I take great pride in what I do, and Dad loves that I'm doing wonders for the world of technology!" Chihiro grins at me and I nod. Suddenly, her cheeks turn bright red.

 "Oh gosh, I'm so sorry I was rambling! You must hate me so much...." I hear a quiet sob coming from her as she covers her face with her hands. 

"No, no! Chihiro, it's okay! I don't hate you at all. I mean, why would I be here if I did?" I say, quietly and calmly. There's nothing she can do to make me hate her. I mean really?

The quiet sobbing stops, and she uncovers her face. I carefully wipe the tears from her face. Her eyes widen and her cheeks turn even redder. It's so cute, man. I love her...

Oh my god.

I love her, don't I?

"Listen, Joyu, I have something to tell you. Come with me." Chihiro grabs me by my hand. She exhales a quiet sigh and makes direct eye contact with me.

"Joyu. I'm actually a boy."

My eyes widen, and I'm taken by surprise.

"Is this some kind of joke or something?"

"No, Joyu! I'm being serious! I would prove it to you, but that'd be embarrassing..."

"Wait, are you trans, or cross-dressing..?" I ask timidly, hoping I didn't offend him.

"I was only pretending to be a girl so people would stop making fun of me for being weak and small. 'Look at Fujisaki! He's so weak! Why aren't you stronger? Why are you so girly?'. Day after day after day they would make fun of me, so I told them that I was a girl and they finally stopped." Chihiro starts to shake a little. He closes his eyes and collapses to his knees and starts bawling. "This is so embarrassing..."

I sit down on the ground and put my hand on his shoulder. I try to comfort him but he won't stop.

"Chihiro..." I say, worry soaking every word. "Take my hand." I pick him up by his wrist and sit him down on the bed. His crying has slowed and has gotten quiet. He wordlessly takes his shoes off and gets under the sheets.

"Hey, Joyu..." Chihiro finally speaks. "Can you... um... stay in here with me?" He scooches over to one side of the bed and opens the covers for me to get in. My mind floods with thoughts. Is this really happening? What if I upset him?

Wait.

Does he want to..?

"Can we... cuddle, please?" Chihiro asks. "Just as friends! It helps me sleep easier..." His face turns blood red.

"Sure," I respond. "That would be great."

I flick the lights off and crawl into bed, still in my hoodie and track pants, and wrap my arms around his tiny body and he did the same. Feeling his warmth against our intertwined legs and his soft warm breaths against my neck made me feel the happiest I have ever been.

We were asleep in no time.