●Chapter 23●

I began rearranging all of my paintings stocked behind the plexiglass cases and a few on the benches in my gallery because they were all cluttered and required some serious cleanup. 

In the midst of my cleaning, I heard my cell phone ringing and turned around to see the screen flashing with an unknown number. Furrowing my brows, I picked up the call with reluctance. Before I could even get out the words, they started speaking.

"Good morning. Am I speaking to Ms. Aria Clarke?" A soft, female voice spoke from the other side. She sounded kind and her tone was way too formal to be any of my friends or relatives. I wondered how she got my number.

"Yes, this is she," I replied dubiously. "And you are...?" I asked her warily.

"Hello, I am Amanda Stark. Chief secretary of Director Elizabeth Hale of The Institution of Art and Literature Exhibition. I was asked to contact you, Ms. Clarke. Director Hale would like to exchange a few words with you. So, if you don't mind me asking, can I arrange a meeting of you with the Director, according to your convenience?"

My mouth hung open in stupefaction. I tapped my ear just to assure myself that I was not hearing things. 

Director Elizabeth Hale of The Institution of Art and Literature Exhibition of the U.S. is a really huge personality in the world of Art. 

Even wealthy and successful people around the world try really hard just to have an appointment with her. It is really hard to contact such a busy human and here she was contacting me? Getting ahold of me?

"Um, Ms. Clarke, are you there?" Amanda Stark asked me worriedly.

"Wait. Wait, wait, wait, wa-wait. Wait, wait. Just wait! Did you just say 'The Director of The Institution of Art and Literature Exhibition?' Is this some sort of prank you're pulling up on me or are you sure you've contacted the right Aria Clarke?!" I exclaimed wildly but a hope started swirling inside of me. 

My heart was thumping erratically within my chest. I was literally praying that this was not a dream and certainly not a prank and also hoping against hope that she contacted the right Aria Clarke.

"Ms. Clarke, this is not a prank call. This is legitimately a legal call, I can assure you of that. Nor am I contacting the wrong person unless it wasn't your painting that's created quite a buzz in the media."

"Oh, my God," I whispered to myself. Taking a deep breath, I cleared my throat to speak more efficiently this time. I had to mask the unimpressive attitude I'd shown earlier. But it did little to ease my nerves. "I'm sorry, that is totally me. Can you please repeat what you said earlier?"

"Sure, Ms. Clarke," she told me patiently. "Director Hale would like to have a small talk with you, according to your convenience. I had tried contacting you yesterday through your email but you didn't give any response so I am assuming you didn't check it? So, I was told to give you a call."

"Ho-how did you reach me?" I stammered in awe.

"I was given all your contact details from the Director."

"Of course." I nodded my head and realized that she might not know how the Director got all of my details. That's when a thought struck me and I blurted out, "I didn't do anything, did I? I mean I can swear on my life that I didn't steal or anything from your premises. Is that why you're calling me? To sue me?" At this point, I was horrified and my lips were quivering in fright.

I heard a soft chuckle and then a reply, "I am one hundred percent sure our Director does not have time to personally meet any of our institution's criminals. But I am not given the reason why she wants to meet you personally either."