Chapter 13

A/N: Just another heads up that the end of this chapter is another pretty gory and intense one.

Jisu had collapsed.

Jae Heon had carried her to a bed, so that she could rest. They had hoped that it was just exhaustion, but as they waited for Jisu to become conscious again, it became obvious that her symptoms were much worse than just tiredness. Jisu was pale face, and covered in a thin sheen of sweat, that was induced by both fever and pain. When she did wake, she would flinch, sucking in a sharp inhale of breath with any sudden movement.

Yeonha knew just about enough of medicine to know that there was something medically wrong.

Hyuk sat down beside Jisu to examine her. He had barely touched her abdomen and the girl screamed. 

Not good.

He felt around again and each time she would groan.

"I think it's appendicitis."

Yeonha inhaled. 

Appendicitis? That meant Jisu needed surgery.

They give Jisu some space, as Hyuk explains the diagnosis and risks to 

Jae Heon and Yeonha. His sister Eun Yoo, who had been with Jisu when she collapsed was also there, trying to pretend she wasn't all that concerned but it was obvious she was.

"You can do it right? You can save her?"

Eun Hyuk inhales deeply. "If she agrees to surgery, i'll do everything I can."

Yeonha follows Eun Hyuk as he heads inside to tell Jisu everything so she can make the decision.

"So there's a chance I might die?"

"Yes."

"There's a higher chance of dying than surviving." Hyuk tells her matter of factly.

Yeonha shakes her head adamantly. "You're not going to die. You're not." 

She couldn't deal with another death-wouldn't deal with it.

"It's your call." Hyuk informs Jisu. 

"If I don't do it I'm going to die anyway."

They regroup with the others to form a plan of action. A team of people would be going outside to head to the hospital nearby for surgical supplies and medicine. The rest would help clear a space to preform the surgery and make sure it was as sterile as possible.

Yeonha volunteers to join the supply run mission too. She'd resolved to do everything she could to prevent Jisu from dying. As she's about to step forward, Hyuk halts her with a hand wrapped around her wrist.

"I need you here."

She's about to kick up a fight when he adds, "So does Jisu."  Yeonha presses her lips firmly together and nods.

After helping set up the surgery room, Yeonha heads to the basement where the team heading outside are getting their things sorted into the truck Dusik Han had fixed up. She looks around searching for Hyun and hurries over to him. 

"Be safe out there okay, make sure you come back in one piece." 

Hyun offers a small nod as a reply.

Yeonha notices Yuri and Sang Wook staring and smiles awkwardly. "Uhh, I guess that goes for you both also." She hurries back to Jisu.

"Give me your hand." Jisu orders Yeonha raises and eyebrow.

"You want to hold my hand? Why? Are you scared? Or are you about to confess your love to me or something?" 

Jisu glowers weakly. "Shut up. Just give it here."

"Fine."

Yeonha offers her cold fingers  to her friend. It turns out Jisu did not want to hold her hand, as she places Yeonha's palm on her forehead.

"Ah that's better." She sighs.

Yeonha scoffs. "You're using me as an icepack?"

"Mhm."

A loud and terrifying noise outside sends a tremor throughout the whole building. The team that had gathered around the makeshift surgical table share panicked expressions. 

What the hell had happened outside? 

Were Hyun and the others okay?

Yeonha look's at Hyuk, eyes asking him "Should I go take a look?"

He shakes his head. 

Whatever had happened outside wasn't a priority. Saving Jisu was, as she was getting worse by the minute.

A monsters growl could be hard in the distance.

Hyuk explains the risk of surgery without anaesthesia and antibiotics. Jisu could die from shock or infection. 

Yeonha really hated how honest he was sometimes, couldn't he just smile and say she'd be fine? that she wasn't going to die?

She's not going to die. Yeonha tells herself firmly. 

I'm not going to lose anyone else.

Yeonha glances at Hyuk as he picks up the scalpel. There's the slightest tremor, but he wills the shaking to stop, and holds the tool with a perfectly steady hand. 

Yeonha couldn't tell what he was thinking, but she had an inclination on how he was feeling. The pressure was all on him. Everyone was expecting him to save Jisu. He couldn't make a mistake. He couldn't fail. He was nervous, probably self doubting.

She offers him an encouraging smile and gives his free hand a squeeze.

"You've got this." She reassures him, then returns to her position.

As soon as Eunhyuk cuts through Jisu's skin-the pain becomes too much and she passes out. Yeonha keeps her fingers on her neck, monitoring the girls pulse. Her eyes are fixed on the bloody incision.

After about an hour, the surgery is complete. 

Jisu wasn't going to die. 

She smiles and lets out a relieved breath.

"Good job everyone." Hyuk says.

Really, he had been the one doing the most important work.