Chapter 15

After Jisu had left Yeonha to sleep, Hyun stayed. He was worried what would happen to her-last time she was alone, she'd almost let her monster tuck her away.

When the girl started to whimper and shake in her sleep, he wanted to wake her. He tries to, calling her name quietly and jostling her shoulder, but she's too deeply buried in her bad dream. Hyun instead tries to soothe her, brushing his fingers through her hair. 

After a little while Yeonha manages to escape from her nightmare and wakes. 

Hyun's outstretched hand is frozen in her hair. His eyes widen and he blushes ever so slightly at the fact he had been caught. Embarrassed he tries to retract his hand without pulling her curls, but Yeonha prevents him from doing so, grabbing his hand with hers.

She tells him to continue and closes her eyes, when he does she sighs and slowly relaxes.

"Hyun?" She says quietly, as she opens her eyes and looks at him.

The words were on the tip of her tongue.

I like you too. 

She wanted to say but just couldn't. 

Hyun waits patiently for her. 

In the end, Yeonha decides to take Jisu's advice. If you like someone you should tell them while you have the chance. You'll regret it otherwise.

Yeonha already has enough regrets.

Yeonha was more of a woman of action though, so instead she pulls him down to her height and kisses him.

Startled by the sudden action Hyun freezes, unresponsive to the kiss until she pulls away, and he brings her back to him with his hands in her hair. She melts into the kiss.

They pull away to catch their breath, and Yeonha smiles sheepishly, wrapping her fingers around his.

Hyuk enters the room to check up on Yeonha's stitches.

"Am I interrupting you two?" He looks at the pair holding hands.

Yeonha shakes her head.

"I'll wait outside." Hyun says, as he stands.

Yeonha watches him leave, wondering if she should have told him to stay.

Eunhyuk replaces Hyun in the empty space beside Yeonha. His eyes scan over her. Her shirt hadn't bled through, which was a good sign that her wound wasn't worsening.

"Mind if I take a look?" He gestures to her bandaged abdomen. Yeonha hadn't checked it over either, so she agreeably lifts her shirt up enough to expose her dressed wound. Carefully he peels back the dressing to inspect the stitching. 

"So you like Hyun?"

Hyuk had seen them? Or had he heard her conversation with Jisu? Yeonha avoids looking at him and shrugs awkwardly. "I don't know I guess I do."

If there was one thing Yeonha could hate about Hyuk; it would be how reactionless he was to things. He always kept his emotions to himself, and was always so unreadable. She peeks at him to try and gauge a response.

All he does is nod.

After a moment, he says "I suppose I must have changed too much from the boy you had a crush on then."

It was less of the fact that he had changed, but more that she had, and still was. 

A monster is a monster. He had even said so himself, and she had been hurt and angry when he had first said it but now she had come to terms with it. He was right, after all. The fact that she was becoming a monster wasn't something that would just go away, and it would be cruel of her to get so close to him to then put him through pain and suffering when she would eventually turn.

Her and Hyun were both doomed, but somewhere along the way they'd decided to be doomed together.

"It's not that-" She starts to tell him. 

Hyuk doesn't want to hear her excuses.

"You said you owe me four of your lives right? That all right then, as long as I can have you in those 4 lives then I can settle for just friends in this life." He says cooly, again his face wearing an unbothered mask.

Yeonha doesn't know what to say back to him, so she stays silent, as he works at removing the thread from her wound. 

~~~

Their safe haven had been breached. Escaped convicts had commandeered a military vehicle and drove it through the side of the building, brandishing guns as they brought further disruption and chaos. They had shot a man multiple times, cut off his thumb without blinking, rounded up the tenants like they were cattle and shot a harmless girl just because they could.

Yeonha had been with Jisu, but upon hearing gunshots, she slipped into the hall searching for answers. Her monster was unsettled, sitting right underneath her skin.