chapter 11 - all hallow's ball

note: hi!! i know i haven't said much as an author's note so far but i want to say thank you so much if you've read till here:) i really appreciate the comments and votes!! this was one of my fav chapters to write and i included a little thing of the girls' outfits for the night to help you visualize! have a great read and a great day!
btw every picture is from Pinterest!
lyra

note: hi!! i know i haven't said much as an author's note so far but i want to say thank you so much if you've read till here:) i really appreciate the comments and votes!! this was one of my fav chapters to write and i included a little thing of ...

charlotte

iliana     little history behind the necklace - the girls each bought one while shopping as it was part of a collection where part of the proceeds went to breast cancer research      but in real life i found the necklace and hair clips from @ammil...

iliana
     little history behind the necklace - the girls each bought one while shopping as it was part of a collection where part of the proceeds went to breast cancer research
      but in real life i found the necklace and hair clips from @ammil_design on Instagram if you want to check it out they are a small business!

iliana     little history behind the necklace - the girls each bought one while shopping as it was part of a collection where part of the proceeds went to breast cancer research      but in real life i found the necklace and hair clips from @ammil...

The girls gathered in the Gryffindor fifth year girls' dorm to get ready for the Halloween ball. Iliana had brought her record player and the girls were humming and singing along to Iliana's favorite tunes. Angelina was helping Alicia with her hair while Ginny watched. Lyra and Iliana had sat at the edge of Charlotte's bed by Charlotte and Hermione. The latter two were on the floor, Charlotte working on makeup for Hermione.

"Ly, I swear to Merlin if you chew that loud again I will throat punch you."

Lyra grinned, leaned closer to Iliana and began obnoxiously chewing the bubblegum in her ear.

"Ugh! Get off!" Iliana laughed, pushing a laughing Lyra off her as she got up to change the music.

Charlotte leaned back to give Hermione's face a final look. "Okay, look in the mirror and tell me what you think."

Hermione turned to face the full length mirror against the wall and gasped at her face in awe. Charlotte had done a natural look for Hermione but added gold glitter on her cheekbones and light gold eyeshadow to her lids.

"Mione, you look beautiful!"

"Char, you did amazing. Hermione looks flawless!"

Hermione turned back to Charlotte and quickly embraced her.

"Well, I think that look was successful," Charlotte beamed, then faced Iliana and Lyra. "Who's next?"

"Illie, you go. Mine won't take too long," Lyra insisted.

"Au contraire, chérie," Charlotte quipped. "You said and I quote, 'I don't care about makeup and it's masquerade so do whatever you want.'"
Lyra mentally cursed her past self but conceded, as long as Iliana still went first.

A few hours later, the only people left in the dorm were Charlotte and Lyra. Lyra insisted on staying while Charlotte did her own makeup. Both girls were fashionably late as they left Gryffindor Tower, making their way to the Great Hall.

Walking up to the Great Hall, Lyra looked curiously at the two people at the door. Even though they had masks on, Lyra figured she could discern who was who. The girl called Lyra over and touched her wand to Lyra's mask, "the charm keeps the masks on and disguises your face slightly so you won't be recognized," she explained.

Nodding, Lyra turned to look for Charlotte only to find another young boy in her place. Nice, she thought, ditched even before really walking in. Thanks for nothing, Char.

Rolling her eyes, she decided she'd at least settle her grumbling stomach and made a beeline for the snack table. She rolled her eyes again at the 'finger foods' that had been placed here but took some into her plate and stood to the side near the wall, still close to the food in case she felt like seconds.

As she ate, Lyra looked around at the decorations she had helped put up just a few hours ago. She smiled. They had done a fantastic job and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves, even the professors.

Lyra finished her second round of snacks pretty quickly and grabbed a cup of the spiked punch before moving to her spot against the wall. Her mystery game was about to begin, and just like with the novels she started by eliminating the obvious first. Professors, though they had donned masks, were pretty clear. Dumbledore chatted with McGonagall and Sprout, Flitwick was discussing with the choir, and to her surprise Snape and Lupin were talking to each other. Whatever animosity Mieko and Lyra had seen at the beginning of the year between the two must have pretty quickly been abandoned.

Lyra then turned her attention to the dance floor and just as quickly identified Charlotte, Angelina, Alicia, Hermione, and Ginny from their dresses. Mieko was dancing formally with Iliana and by their posture it was clear they were keeping from doubling over laughing. Then she looked for signature red hair. Lyra found George and Fred discussing quietly to themselves in a corner, probably about the after party. Ron was easy enough and the dark haired boy with awkwardly perched glasses on top of his mask must be Harry. Percy was walking to the door to replace one of the prefects who had been there previously, and the blonde with him was undoubtedly Penelope.

That was the easy part, now Lyra had to identify people she didn't know all that well. Lyra scanned the hall to pick a person she thought she could figure out.

"Most people wouldn't stare so intently at everyone in the hall," a voice spoke to her left.

Jumping slightly, Lyra turned to face a tall boy with a silver mask and beautiful brown hair. She smirked then, "most people aren't me."

"And it's a good thing too," he began.

Lyra quirked a brow, "oh? And why's that?"

"Well it would be rather boring if everyone was just like you wouldn't it?"

"Hmm," she smiled and turned back to face the hall. Lyra didn't get a good look at the masked boy but something about him seemed familiar.

"So, what is it that you are doing?" he asked.

Lyra decided to humor him. Perhaps his reactions would help her figure him out or he would let a clue slip about someone else. "I'm playing a game."

"Mind if I join?"

"You don't even know what it is yet," she looked up at him.

"Well, it seems to have captivated you. It must be interesting. How do you play?"

"I'm trying to figure out who's who."

"Who have you got so far?"

She ticked them off on her unoccupied hand, "professors, my friends, and head girl and boy."

"Got the easy stuff out of the way first. Good strategy," he noted and Lyra smiled. "Well, have you figured me out yet?"

"No," she said slowly. "But who's to say we've even spoken before tonight."

He smirked and Lyra felt as if she were experiencing deja vu but couldn't place the past memory. Then he took her drink out of her hand and placed it on a table nearby.

"Dance with me? I'll give you hints. Let's see how many it takes before you figure me out."

note: sooooo who do you think the mystery man is???? it's important for the future chapters just saying;)