Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I rush forward trying to work out what is going on through the dark. I see hands raised, feet kicked out and hear agonised cries from Danny. I grab the nearest attacker by the shoulders and throw him to the ground. Then I turn on another only to feel strong cold hands grip my throat. I lash out with my arms and legs, trying to remove myself from the grip. Suddenly there is a cry and the grip releases, I don’t know what happened but I don’t stop to think. I battle with them for a while, barely able to see what I am hitting. However before long they are running off into the night and I can finale check on Danny. I can just make him out, crushed up on the floor, his face cut and already bruised, blood pouring from his nose. “Are you alright?” I ask although I know it’s a stupid question. “I’ve been better.” He says but his voice is weak and hoarse. He tries to stand but a sharp cry of pain escapes his lips. I bend down and pull his arm around my shoulder and haul him to his feet and I see him biting his lip to stop himself crying out again. I can also see his hand covering the left of his stomach but I decide to find help before discovering the worst of the damage. I have to stop to think, what now? I need to get someone to check over Danny but who? I can now afford the doctors with my new fortune but they will be closed for the night. Then I remember; the anthropopathy! Slowly, very slowly we begin to make our way towards the anthropopathy, Danny groaning or crying out every now and again. Finale I spot it and yes, the light is still on. We stagger through the door and almost bump into two figures. There is Flora Nightingale, a basket of herbs in one hand and Cedar Everdeen’s hand in her other. The two stop their quiet conversation as we enter and I feel as if we have interrupted something. “I was just about to lock…Oh.” Flora stops as I bring Danny into the light.

“Sorry to bother you at this time but it’s sort of urgent.” I say.

“That’s ok, take in him there I will be in in a minute.” Flora says gesturing to a room to the right. I take Danny through and sit him down on a chair; he groans slightly and screws his face up in pain. I glance back to see Cedar kiss Flora on the cheek before turning to leave. “Cedar! Could you do me a favour?” I call. He turns back and smiles. “Sure.”

“Could you go and tell Isabel where I am and what’s happened? Then could you go and tell Danny’s family what’s happened?”

“Of course.” Cedar says.

“Thank you.” I say before Cedar leaves and Flora leads me back in with Danny.

“Can you get him up on the table?” Flora asks signalling with her hand. I carefully haul Danny up and just about mange to get him onto the table top. “Right then let’s see.” I watch as Flora sets to work, first cleaning the blood from Danny’s face and stopping the nose bleed. She checks over the small cuts and bruises on his face before moving onto his body. Flora gets Danny to remove his shirt and when he does what I see makes my blood run cold. His hand was covering a stab wound. Flora makes Danny lay back mainly because he looks as if he will pass out. “It’s not too bad.” Flora says but I don’t know if that’s just to try not to worry Danny, or me for that matter. Before long Danny has passed out and Flora is working hard on his wounds. I stand and watch her, my fingers crossed. “I think one of his ribs is broken. That shouldn’t be too much of a problem though.” Flora says. I watch her hands move swiftly and skilfully, binding Danny’s injured rib in place. Then I watch as she cleans the stab wound and begins to sow it. “You’re extremely skilled.” I tell her.       “Not really. I just watch my parents.” Flora says blushing slightly. Then there is silence for a few moments before she speaks again. “Haymitch, I just want to say thank you, thank you for everything you did for Maysilee.” I am stunned.

“She…she did more for me, she didn’t need me.” I say slowly.

“You needed each other. I can see you cared about her and she cared about you.” “Yeh. We became good friends.” I say my mind flying back to the night before the games. “You went back for her, she had broken the alliance yet you still went back for her, thank you.” I can see her eyes glistening with tears as she remembers her friend. “I keep thinking it should have been her, she should have won not me. She deserved it more.” I say truthfully.

“No, don’t say that, you all deserved to win, nobody deserves to die in that place but I know that Maysilee would have wanted you to win and be happy.” Flora says. I know she is right of course but it’s still my fault, my fault she died, I could have saved her, I should have saved her. “I miss her, we all miss her but she would want us to keep going.” Flora says.

“I know.” I sigh. “She spoke of you, you know? Her best friend Flow, she talked about all of you, her parents, her sister Marian she never forgot you, and she missed you just as much as you missed her. She really loved you.” I say slowly. Flora smiles sadly. “And I will never forget her, none of us will. I promise you Haymitch she didn’t die in vain, one day this injustice will end and people will look back and wonder how people could ever have been so cruel to one another and Maysilee’s name, along with the rest of them will live on and never be forgotten.” Flora says and she sounds so strong and certain I can’t help but believe her. I decide then that I will make sure Flora’s words come true, I will bring down the Capitol and the Hunger Games even if it kills me! Just then Danny stirs and I snap out of my thoughts. “God I feel like death! What happened?” Danny murmurs.

“You were attacked, Bruce’s gang, but you will be fine.” I say. “Your family are on their way.”  

“God no, they will only fuss.” He mumbles before closing his eyes again. Just at that moment there is a knock on the door and Danny’s family along with Isabel pile in. I move back and let Danny’s mother Myra get to her son. His father Edgar stands behind his wife, Danny’s little sister Eira in his arms. Isabel comes and puts her arms around me. “How is he?” She whispers looking over at Danny nervously.

“Not too bad I don’t think, thanks to Flora anyway.” I say.

“Mr Forrester? Your son has a broken rib and a stab wound in his side. It is nothing to serious, the wound wasn’t very deep. I have treated it and bandaged his rib. All you can do now is wait for it to heal. I would like him to stay overnight but you are most welcome to stay with him if you so wish.” Flora explains to Edgar.

It is decided that Myra will take Eira home and Edgar is to stay with Danny and Isabel and I decide it’s probably best to leave as well. I stop at the door and turn back to Flora. “Flora! Thank you, for everything.” I call. She smiles.

“It was nothing.” She says. “Goodnight Haymitch, Isabel.”

“Goodnight.”

When we arrive we are bombarded with questions. It turns out the whole house has stayed up waiting for our return. We explain the situation; not in too much detail though because of the kids. Then Isabel picks Rosa up and carries her upstairs while I herd the boys up after them. “Did you beat the people who hurt Danny?” Harvey asks as I tuck him into bed. I look at the eager faces of the three boys and smile. “Yeah, of course I did. Now they will never bother any of us again.” I tell them and their faces lighten up as they imagine it. “Now you lot need to get some sleep now, come on.” I say turning the light off. “Goodnight.” I say and smile as three voices repeat it back.

I find Isabel stood gazing out of the window and I slowly come up behind her and put my arms around her. She smiles and leans her head on my shoulder. “Look, the North Star.” She says pointing into the night sky. I look out and spot it shinning above us. “You know what Haymitch? I will love you for as long as that star keeps shining. As long as the North Star is shining I will always love you.” She says. I look up at the star; the star that lead me through the Hunger Games and smile. It really is my guardian angel.