Step Onto Campus

Tori

I couldn't believe what I was witnessing. This was by far the most beautiful campus I've ever seen. It lived up to its name with luxury, but it was far beyond that. West Brook Private University was spectacular

We were parked at the very front of the school. A herd of rich, privileged students blocked the front gate. Fashionable, attractive...I examined them in amazement. They definitely fit the profile of new adults that would attend this college. Almost stereotypically. They all held large, customized devices in their hands. Girls sported uniquely designed messenger bags and purses, while boys shouldered limited-edition sports bags and expensive backpacks. 

The fresh, newly cemented concrete comfortably stood under our feet as we stepped out of the car, amazement still radiating. I walked onto the main sidewalk by a pair of white, mini-stairs that conveniently sat just a foot from my side of the car. 

"Woah, I can't believe this is where we're studying!" I heard James exclaim from behind me. "Somehow I'm doubting they've got the right people here."

I chuckled. "You mean us?" 

He laughed. "Who else but us?"

I shook my head playfully. He did have a point, though. Compared to the wealthy, pampered student population, we were the most obvious of outsiders. With our older clothes, and basic belongings. The nicest thing either of us had were the twin Converses we got each other 3 Christmases ago. It never really occurred to us just how middle-class we really were until we looked dead in the eye of the filthy rich around us. 

Low money? Check.

Self-Confidence? Question Mark.

"I'm sure we can fit in. If we lied and said we were related to somebody loaded." I suggested. 

We continued to joke about our net-worths until we made it to the front gate of the school, where more students have packed there within the few minutes. It dawned upon me that the students standing here weren't waiting at the gate, they were waiting for it to open up.

"What are we supposed to be doing?" I asked, skeptically. "Why are the gates closed?"

James shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe ask one of the elites."

I suddenly felt nervous as I looked for someone to ask politely. Everyone had a conversation going on, and looked deep into it. I didn't want to seem like I was interrupting. Eventually, I settled for a petite brunette that was behind us. 

"Hey, sorry..." I started, apologetic. "I just wanted to know if these gates would be opening soon."

The brunette raised an eyebrow, staring me down like I was a peasant. "And you are...?"

I smiled sheepishly, tucking a lock of hair between my ear. "Tori."

"Tori...what, exactly?" A ginger-haired girl butted in, suspicion in her tone. "What are you a Make-A-Wish kid?"

That caught me off guard. Trust me, I've seen every high school comedy out there from Mean Girls to Clueless...but I never thought that the typical rude, snobbish pretty girl was actually an accurate representation. 

"Umm...I...." I was literally lost for words. What the hell am I supposed to say to a dolled-up moneybag whose shoes cost more than my house?

"Watch it, Princess." James warned, narrowing his eyes challengingly. "That's my friend you're talking to. And if you knew what was good for you...you'd answer her question."

The ginger-haired girl crossed her arms defiantly. "Oh, wow, what a gentleman. Threatening a girl. Please, you can ask someone else. Piss off."

James opened his mouth to say something else. But I stopped him. As dismissive as she was, I didn't want him to get involved. He's fought people who have tried to bully me before...and let's just say it wasn't cute in the end. And knowing him, I knew he'd square up to her if she continued to disrespected me. I appreciated how protective he was of me, and it was cool when he protected me from men. But his protective tendencies could certainly pass to the opposite gender. It's never happened yet, but I didn't want it to start.

"Let's just ask someone else, okay?" I said, already looking for another person to ask.

James exhaled and nodded. "Sorry. It's instinct at this point."

While I was searching for someone else to question, the gates opened. They slowly slid back, revealing the gorgeous internal structure of West Brook. 

James and I walked passed the gates, among the other students. It was even more beautiful on the inside. A fruitful, plush garden. A large, gold-colored fountain. Soft, cut grass. And humongous, towering buildings that were a mix of modern to traditional. 

"Holy shit, this place just keeps getting better and better." James was as mesmerized as I was. He shook his head with disbelief absently, analyzing the structures around us. 

Several tents and decorated tables appeared as we moved further into the school. I realized immediately what they were for: Sororities and Fraternities. 

"They're looking for recruits already to join the frats..." James mentioned, almost reading my mind. "Do you think I should sign up?"

"Do you?" I asked him. "I think you'd make a great addition to any of the frats!"

"I'll look into it." He said, with finality.

A heavy-set blonde woman emerged from one of the buildings and stood in the middle of the commotion. She tapped the tip of a microphone, getting everyone's attention. "Hello, new arrivals. I'm Mrs. Dillard. The headmaster of students. Welcome to the nationally-acclaimed, West Brook University!"

Cheers rang out from every direction. Clapping followed. After a few minutes, everyone was quiet again.

"It is my great honor to begin my 30th year here at WBU. While it'll be yet another blissful year for me, it's a new journey for you. As everybody here starts their West Brook adventure, keep in mind what you did to get here. And the hard work you put in to attending this blessed college!" Mrs. Dillard continued, gracefully.

10 minutes later...she proceeded to the dormitory instructions.

"Dorms will be divided by age and gender. Freshmen to Sophomores will share a dormitory building, while Juniors to Seniors will share the other. Food, bathrooms, and etc. will be provided outside of your assigned dorms at the Nourishment Center. You'll find the map to the dormitories and the Center at the table at the very beginning of this area. Manned by Ms. Wakeman..." She finished.

When she finally finished her speech, everyone crowded to the front table to get their dorm information. James and I stood in a lengthy line spanning to the gate several miles behind us. 

"I'm surprised they only have one table set up for dorm instructions..." I mentioned, quizzically. "I mean, this is a lot of people waiting for a single piece of paper."

"In that case, maybe it'll go faster?" James said. 

I rolled my eyes. "Doubt it."