[13] kryptonite

"This is just a precaution, you're probably fine," Fitz reassures me as he scans me for any electrostatic electricity because might I say, I do not want to experience the same fate as those firefighters.

"You're all good," Fitz gives me the all-clear and I move over next to Jemma.

After Fitz has checked the remainder of the team, I look towards the other firefighters with an immense amount of sympathy.

"What about the other firefighters?" The fellow brunette asks.

"They'll be quarantined and observed at a S.H.I.E.L.D. biohazard facility," Simmons returns.

Two other agents in hazmat suits walk out of the back room holding a containment box between them. The rest of the team all meet up in the centre of the firehouse.

"Um, anyone else notices they're putting the infected alien thing on our truck?" Skye points out.

"We're flying it to the Sandbox," Coulson informs her.

"Sandbox?" Sometimes I forget how new Skye is.

"It's a S.H.I.E.L.D. research facility across the Atlantic. They specialize in hazardous materials," Simmons follows.

"If what you suspect is true, that this is a virus, then those firefighters could be infected, and they're gonna need a cure. Find one," Coulson orders Jemma and I.

"Yes, sir," We say simultaneously.

Easier said than done.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*    *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

My eyes were hurting, my chin could barely hold up my head but finally, we did it. Jemma and I were in the lab and I was in the midst of both falling asleep and watching the firefighters red blood cells for the millionth time when it hit me and I hear a static noise accompanied by a blue flash.

"We have to call Coulson before you fall asleep on the very expensive technology," Jemma laughed and if I wasn't so exhausted then I would have too. 

"Sir, I think we've discovered something. Could you come down to the lab?"

"I'll be right there," we hear the male voice through the intercom.

"Jem do you think I could have some epinephrine to give me a jolt of energy. Don't want to look unprofessional in front of the boss. Never mind, he's on his way. Emergen-"

Coulson walks into the lab and I sense myself becoming more upbeat in a millisecond and pull up the firefighters' red blood cells onto the big screen. 

"So, what am I looking for, exactly?" He said, becoming a little impatient.

"Wait for it," Jemma says with an excited look on her face. 

Coulson looks slightly confused and then looks back at me where I glance back up at the screen. After hours of work, he was not missing this. And there she goes, a blue electric spark.

"What was that?" Coulson inquires.

"A groundbreaking discovery. I believe the firefighters initially contracted the virus when they cleaned the helmet, the friction activating some long-decaying Chitauir organism –" Jemma begins to unload, going too fast, even for me.

"Hang on. These cells are from the bodies of the firefighters?" Coulson tries to catch up.

"Brain cells, yes, the last vestiges of the infection. Some viruses "sleep" inside host cells for years before reproducing, as they did inside the helmet – the initial source. But what those cells tell us is that we're dealing with a propagating virus, which means –" I intervene, almost siphoning the energy from Jemma.