' - crumbled coffee grains

' C H A P T E R — 0 0 3

' BITTERSWEET FLAVORED CONVERSATIONS  — A cup of coffee in hand and crushed sweet biscuits in the other.

"Sorry I bought cookies but they fell on my way here." She hid the small pouch holding the deserts and slid it aside into her bag.

"Let's get some more on our way back." His thoughts rambled on thinking about how she planned on gifting him cookies.

Y/n's smile only grew, thinking of the sweet pastry shopping ahead. Sugawara sat down and got comfortable, pulling out the tall high chair that almost reached to his chest. "Did you wait for me long?" He mumbled a bit while focusing on the drinks menu, hoping to get something different this time.

Y/n gently shook her head, "Nope, they just gave me my mocha early. I always get the same thing everytime."

"Me too, caramel latte." He spoke that to the waiter as well. Plans to get something new could wait.

——

The sun beamed through the windows, glazing the wooden floors beneath their shoes. It went far up to the table and flourished to her skin, the warmth felt comforting. "Hey Sugawara, say...did you hear everything I said that day?"

His head rested on his palm, leaning towards the window. "...Yeah, sorry it seemed personal." He avoided eye contact, feeling somewhat guilty.

"It's okay. I was yelling as loud as I could for the longest time. Someone was bound to be listening, I just didn't know it was someone so close." The waiter placed down the hot drink in the middle and y/n slid it to Sugawara, feeling the coffee steam slightly burn her fingertips.

Sugawara held at the latte in front of him, still not looking directly towards y/n. "Can I ask..."

"What it was about?" She finished his sentence for him.

"Yeah. Sorry that sounds ignorant, don't force yourself." Sugawara looked up, his hazel-brown eyes to her angelic e/c ones.

Y/n thought for a moment on what to say. Where to start. "I'm not gonna live long because of a disease I have. Its cliche but Doc's says it's incurable. By the time they find something it's probably too late."

She sighed for a bit until continuing on.
"I'm tied to pain killers instead but I'm living decently so I'm trying to live my life how life's supposed to be. Living to the fullest as they say"

But that wasn't the complete truth. It was just a white lie, something to cover up how sickening she actually felt. She hated the world. How cruel it was, but how can you blame the universe?

It was a lot to take in, y/n hoped she didn't over share but words could never be taken back. Sugawara thought for a second, processing everything.

"...Thank you. For telling me." His tone was soft and gentle, trying to ease the insane pressure she felt.

Sugawara was an awkward guy at first but fun to keep company, y/n didn't know anything about him but he just seemed to say the right things at the moments she needed him to the most. And for that her heart skipped a beat.

"It was oh so comforting!" Her sore heart screamed.

She smiled, a way of telling him thanks for saying that. "What about you? What were you doing in the rain with nothing to keep you dry?"

"It was just another of my implosive thoughts that actually became more than what it was supposed be. But I don't know what lead to it really, I guess I was just feeling off that day." He sipped his coffee and his lips brimmed the now steamed down cup.

——

They were so crazily open with each other but it wasn't because they trusted each other but because they had no one else to vent their fears,dreams, and problems to. Perfect strangers for each other, like soulmates but less fantasized.

"How are you feeling now? Still...off?" Y/n knew his problems weren't hers but it was a push and pull situation. She said whatever was on her mind and he did the same, with the occasional white lie.

But Sugawara didn't know. Did he really not have that feeling in him anymore? "No I'm all right now,thanks for asking uh..." his mind went blank when he thought of her name.

"Y/n L/n, now wanna get those pastries?" She wanted to move past the conversation before it went too depressing.

"Yes, I'll call for the check." And like that they paid and went to shop at the next store.

"Cookie town? That's pretty chessy." He joked around laughing.

Y/n shook her head in disappointment, "It's actually really good! You'll see."

——

Butter creamed cakes and strawberry filled pies. Cookies stacked to the edge with pouring chocolate chip drops.

The bakery was filled with more than just cookies, with other deserts that reminded everyone of grandma's kitchen. The warm aroma lingered in the air, never ending. Everyone hoped it never ended too.

"Mommy! Mommy! That one looks so tasty! Do you see?!" A little boy tugged his mother's coat, eyes lighting up happily.

She smiled at him and grabbed the small package off the shelf, "Yes, it looks delicious. We should buy it to try with everyone." Their conversation faded out as y/n's attention went on her own set of desserts that stood out.

Sugawara followed benind, admiring the cutely decorated cookie with ribbons flowing through the packaging. "We should get this one! Vanilla flavored sugar cookies... sounds good enough." She grabbed it and looked to Sugawara if he wanted anything. His gaze went the shelves looking for something sweet but sour. 'GUM DROPS!'  displayed on the candy bag. The sour sugar dusted the drops, with a soft and chewy texture.

"I'll get this one." Sugawara held it in between his palms. It was y/n's treat paying for the sweets while Sugawara paid for the coffee.

The worker handed them their bags, filled with colorful wrappers inside. "I'm going home by train so I'll be going this way." She pointed in the opposite direction where he was heading.

"It was fun. Today, it was short but I'm glad i spent it with you." Was he being flirty or overly sweet like gumdrops? She couldn't tell but she doubted he liked her like that.

"I liked today too. Let's do it again, maybe next time it'll be longer!" Y/n grinned and waved goodbye to him as he did the same.

"SWEET! SWEET! SWEET! HOW COULD THIS BE ANY CUTER?!"