5

hi omg i'm sorry i've been absent for so long. between schoolwork and setting up my tumblr/writing one-shots, I've barely had time to focus on anything. it's been on my mind constantly, though. I'll update more consistently!!! also this is from the Fisher King episodes, but I had to change it a little bit, of course. 

sunlight seeps through the curtains in my bedroom, washing the floor in a muted orange. my alarm is shrieking by my face and the sound causes my body to jerk painfully. it's early and the temptation to stay in bed is almost overwhelming.

but that's not how it goes. although there's no new case yet, I need to be in the office by seven for paperwork. there's the beginnings of a headache forming in the back of my mind, probably because I slept in an awkward position, and I clutch my forehead as I pull myself off the mattress.

the smooth coolness of fall means my toes get cold the second they touch the floor, goosebumps rising on my bare legs and arms. I think about my obligations today and wonder if having no case means we'll go out tonight. after a two-week long case in Alaska, my brain wants nothing if not to turn off for a while.

it doesn't feel fair that some of us have to work while some of the team gets vacation time in Jamaica. I guess I'm the only one who has to— I just started and haven't earned the hours yet— but Spencer told Hotch that he didn't need to take time and would rather come in. Emily and Morgan are off doing god knows what on a beach in paradise.

...

Penelope leans against the edge of my desk with her mug in hand. she's here because she's saving her vacation time to line up with her boyfriend, Kevin's. 

"do you have plans for Halloween?" she asks me once I've piled up all my paperwork in a neat, straight stack. I place a blue pen on top of it and squint as if to make sure it doesn't roll off.

"me? no, why would I?" I scoff, immediately recalling images of trick-or-treating along neighborhood streets.

"why so hostile?" she laughs. my eyes shoot up from the stationary pen to her face. I blink.

"nothing. I just don't really care about minor holidays. I haven't celebrated Halloween since I was, like, ten."

"not even a college party or two?" Pen frowns at me. "you were never a slutty nurse?"

I'm about to reply that no, I'd never even had the urge to go to a Halloween party, when Reid comes through the glass doors.

"hi, Reid." Penny beams at him, waving. Spencer holds up a hand and gives a tight-lipped smile before throwing his messenger bag onto his desk and making a beeline for the coffee machine.

"anyway, there's another office party happening that you should go to." Pen grins.

"office party?" I frown.

"did you guys not have those in sex crimes?" she places a hand over her heart like this is a travesty. I shake my head slowly.

"no. we never did those for any holiday, really."

"did you guys ever hang out outside of work?"

"now that I think about it, no." I frown to myself. I had friends in the department, but most of the time after the day was up, I would just go home and relax. we didn't even go out for drinks half as much as the BAU does. I suppose it depends on the people.

"well, now you have to come." Penelope taps the top of my stack. her nails are a hot pink shade, which is very on-brand for her. my mouth opens as I try to make up an excuse-- except I just said I didn't have any plans for that day.