After the Attack

"Jeepers... are you sure that that's a dog bite?"

"Yes, Test-tube, I'm pretty sure." Paintbrush sounded exhausted as they spat out those words, and rightfully so. It was two in the morning, they were covered from bristle to toe in scratches and bites, and the adrenaline mixed with pain was probably the only reason they were still conscious. Lightbulb stood right next to the table they sat on, a worried expression on her face.

"Oomga... I'm really sorry for getting you into that mess Painty..." Lightbulb then murmured in a guilty tone of voice, wincing as Paintbrush flinched from their bite wound being prodded. Her light even flickered a little, the bulb's worry for the brush quite obvious.

Currently Test-tube, Lightbulb, and Paintbrush were all in the Test-tubes 'secret' lab, which everyone who knew of its existence collectively decided was apparently the new nurse's office of sorts for when they got injured but couldn't go to a hospital (much to Test-tube's dismay). All of the ceiling lights were switched off, seeing as the only light switches to the building were comically complicated and far too difficult to simply flip on at the current hour, drowning the underground building in shadow. In fact, it was lucky Lightbulb happened to be there with how dark it was, her convenient glow illuminating the makeshift medical bed and equipment on it.

"No, Lighty don't-" Paintbrush began to argue, before sighing with frustration as they lifted one extremely sore arm to lightly pet Lightbulb. "It wasn't your fault I got attacked by a wild animal. Don't blame yourself." They then said in a monotone and almost annoyed tone of voice.

Lightbulb paused for a moment, seeming disbelieving of that statement for a few seconds, giving the floor sad puppy eyes as she thought about the situation. She then looked up, nodding cheerily in agreement with Paintbrush's, warmly smiling before scrambling up to cuddle onto their lap.

"H-hey- Lightbulb!-" Test-tube began to complain, the glowing object taking up the needed space while the glass object was in the middle of to operating. Paintbrush was honestly too tired to push the now very content Lightbulb off of their lap, simply shoving their already outstretched hand into Test-tube's chest as a silent gesture for her to continue tending the gnarly bite wound on their arm (which had thankfully stopped bleeding as heavily as it had been before).

Over the course of around fifteen minutes of silence, occasional small talk, and explaining to Lightbulb in great detail about why she had to move so Paintbrush could be properly treated the rest of the way, all of Paintbrush's wounds were fully bandaged. There was so much gauze that they looked as though they were wearing a poorly designed mummy costume that a mother made out of toilet paper, but it was better than potentially getting infections in any of the cuts that littered their body simply due to exposure.

Paintbrush wobbled ever so slightly as they stood up and off of the medical table, Lightbulb quickly slipping to their side to help them stand straight. They pursed the lips in an indignant manner out of annoyance, embarrassed that they needed the help more than anything else. It sucked to need help with such basic things, after all.

"Are you sure you wanna go home so soon? It's not an issue for me to keep you overnight." Test-tube asked softly, her voice lined with concern for the injured object's health. Typically she'd hate to have someone be in the lab for such a long period of time, but she figured she could make an exception for someone who survived such a brutal assault.

"It's fine. I'll just be bedridden for a week or so, I'm sure you have far more important things to do anyways, especially considering you still have to compete sooner or later." Paintbrush then replied, rolling their eyes as they spoke the second part of the last sentence. Yep, they were still rather salty about the whole getting-voted-out thing.

"Don't worry Testy my girl! I'll get Painty here home so safely that they'll call me the safety taxi!" Lightbulb then added with a cheer, seemingly excited about merely traveling back to the hotel. This little statement was made in such an earnest and optimistic manner that Test-tube couldn't help but roll her eyes and smile in amusement.

"Alright then, but come back right away if you have any signs of any infection."

"Of course."

——————

It was probably around four am by the time Paintbrush and Lightbulb made it back to the hotel, pretty much every light inside the building off and the windows dark. Except for the bottom floor.

The front doors of Hotel OJ were wide open, the owner himself standing impatiently in the entryway, the lights from sighing pouring out into the darkness. Upon seeing the two in the distance, he began walking up quite hurriedly, looking quite tired himself as he went to Paintbrush's other side to help them move quicker.

"What in the name of all that is holy are you two doing out so late?" He immediately asked in a half-harsh, half-concerned tone as he dragged the injured brush along. "And what the heck happened to you, Paint?" The glass then asked, glancing over at all of the very noticeable bandages.

"It's a long story I'd rather not-" Paintbrush began to say, before getting loudly interrupted by the glowing bulb on their other side.

"Painty got attacked by a wild animal!" Lightbulb stated in an almost cheery tone, smiling awkwardly, before her expression quickly dampened into more guilt. "It looked like it hurt..." She paused for a good few even more awkward moments, before perking up again. "But it's all alright now that Test-tuber got them all bandaged up!"

OJ simply stared at her for a few moments, sensing Paintbrush's clear yet oddly restrained annoyance radiating off of them, before then looking back forward. "Oooookaaaaaaayyyy then... well I guess I'll just tell your neighbors to be extra respectful since you obviously need rest."

"Wowie, thanks, OJ." Paintbrush snipped, knowing full well their neighbors had never listened to their requests before.

"No problem, Painty." The glass mumbled tiredly in reply, sighing softly as the three reentered the building for the last time that unlucky night.