Chapter - Five (Lucas+Isla)

LUCAS' POV

I woke up to a loud alarm blaring in my ears.
I shot up straight on the bed and saw the room blinking with red lights. Frightened, I got up from the mattress and opened the door. I peeped outside to see people all over the place, confused and screaming. I came out and went to Isla's room to see it was still closed. I knocked at her door and asked, "Isla! Are you up?"

"Lucas, come in quick.", came her murmur from inside. I opened the door and saw her on the ground. "I forgot I had hurt my ankle and got up carelessly from shock.", she said in pain. I ran up to her and got her up to her feet. Outside the door, I heard people yelling,
"What's happening?"
"Are we going to die?"
"Someone turn this thing off!"

I walked outside carefully with Isla and Natalia's voice came from the main room, "It's a fire!" Everyone rushed to the main room including us. As we went on through the corridor, black smoke started getting thicker and thicker and I started coughing more frequently. We went on to the main room and the sight totally shook us. The left side of the building was in complete ashes!
I couldn't believe that the whole side had burnt down. I sat down trying to catch my breath and Isla went to the edge of the burnt side.

ISLA'S POV

I peeped on the other side but the thick black smoke made it harder to tell what exactly was on that side. I scanned my eyes through the debris to see if anyone from the ten people who went there made it out alive but all I could see was ashes and burnt wood. I gave up and was about to turn around when I saw something shining on the ground beside me. On inspecting closer, I realised it to be light coming from somewhere in the left side. I looked up and saw a little hole on the roof. That's when I realised that I could escape if I somehow climb up and maybe -

"Isla get back here, you can fall down into the ashes!", I heard Natalia call from behind. I turned around and saw her sitting next to Lucas. He had a strangely blank expression on his face. I walked up to them and sat on the other side of Lucas. Natalia was sat with her knees to her chest. I nudged Lucas and raised my eyebrows so as to ask What happened? He just shook his head.

I shrugged and looked at the water below. It was a light red from previously. We are so lucky to be the ones going to the right instead of the left. I felt terrible for the people who didn't know they wouldn't wake up to see another day. "I'm going to my room.", Natalia said while rubbing her forehead. "I need some peace." She got up and walked through the door into the corridor.

Lucas got up, "I'm going too." I quickly rose up, feeling my ankle sting. "Can you tell me what's happened to you?" He just kept walking. I ran up to him and turned him around from his arm, "You are the only person here that I know properly. Let's not hide anything from each other." "Even I have no idea what's happening to me. I just want to be alone. Please?", he said. I left him and he just walked away. I went and sat at the end of the raised platform.

Suddenly I heard a gurgling sound and looked down to see the water draining from the pool. I looked around and saw that everyone had gone from the main room into their own rooms. The water had now completely drained and some pipes from the side started filling up the pool with clean water. I watched as the water filled the pool - because I had nothing else to do - when I heard Lucas call out my name, "Isla! Where are you?"

I got up and opened the door and came face-to-face with a concerned Lucas. "What the hell Isla! Why are you here when everyone is in their rooms?", he blurted out. "Ok fine. I'm sorry. I won't go around alone now." He held me from the hand and pulled me, "Now come with me. I have something important to show you." When I say he dragged me all the way to his room, I mean it. He opened the door, "Tadaaa!"

There was nothing. "What?", I asked. "What what?", he exclaimed. "Dude there's a legit masterpiece on the wall." I looked around and finally noticed it. It was a scary drawing of a clown placed upright on the table. The paper it was drawn on was barely the size of that guy's head. I turned towards him and put my hands on my hips. "Do you expect me to notice that little piece of paper out of anything in this whole room?" "Ok fine!", he raised his hand in surrender. "Just come and see it. It's so beautiful." I mean it was a drawing of a skull...

"Beautiful? Terrifying skulls are beautiful to you? You are one disturbed kid.", I snorted. "I was talking about the drawing, not about the thing that was drawn.", he said as he sat on the chair. "So this is the important thing for which you dragged me all the way here?" "I mean if I hadn't drawn this, I wouldn't have had anything to show you. If I wouldn't have had anything to show you, I wouldn't have come searching for you. If I wouldn't have come searching for you, you would have freaking died! Stop being ungrateful. Oh! Now I know why I was given the pen and paper.", he said as he inspected the pen in awe.

I made a disgusted face, "Are you stupid or are you acting stupid?" "Stupid? Umm excuse me Miss. You are the one being stupid and ungrateful to a person who saved you life. Now bow down to me!", he said as he closed his eyes with and puffed his chest with an air of confidence. I couldn't help but burst out laughing. Lucas started laughing too. We laughed and laughed until I was on the ground, holding my stomach with pain.

Our laughs slowly subsided. I lay on the ground looking at the breaking roof. I got lost in my thoughts and asked, "Till when are we going to laugh like this and try to forget the reality?"

x__________x__________x_________x

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

QUESTION OF THE CHAPTER:

Till when do you think are they going to laugh like this and try to forget the reality? Nah...I'm kidding.
What do you think of the book so far? Let me know your honest opinions in the comments. ----->

Make sure you press that star at the end of the page if you loved what you read!
  |
  |
  |
  |
  |
  \/