Chapter 1

My name is Edwin Grayson, a 17-year-old commoner boy from the capital city of the Ferzian Empire, Hilford. Together with my mother and (adoptive) younger sister, we live in a comfortable and quite large house for commoners, thanks to mother's successful dressmaking business.

But I'm afraid this comfortable life won't last for me.

I have two secrets.

First, I'm not really a commoner. My father is Nestor III, the current Emperor of Ferzia, whom my mother had a one night stand with and ran away. However, my mother didn't know this. She thought that he, still the Crown Prince at the time, was just a random low-ranking aristocrat. Upon seeing my silver hair however, she realized that she slept with a prince and panicked. Of course, rather ashamed of this fact, my mother never told me anything about my father. How I know brings me to the next secret.

I am a reincarnated person – meaning, I am not originally of this world. Or at least, part of my soul isn't. After an accident when I was three, I remembered memories from another world; my past life as an ordinary citizen of a country called Korea. This world, in fact, is part of an otome game my younger sister from that world played often. The game was later adapted into a web novel, which I also read because it turned out to be a deep and intriguing story.

The story was primarily about the romance between Jane Philby, a ruined viscount's daughter, and Ezra, the first prince from the Empress, taking place in the Imperial Academy of Higher Education. At a glance, it was the typical teenage romance story, but it later shifted away from the romance to the struggles of the main characters, their paths growing up and the relationships they navigate. In the end, even the villainess is redeemed and becomes good friends with the protagonists. There was also a good amount of interesting subplots which kept the story entertaining until the last chapter. Overall, it turned out to be a well-rounded gem of a story with great character development. As a college student at the time, the characters' growth resonated a lot with me.

Where do I come into the picture? Well, in the story, Edwin Grayson was the villain to the protagonists' romance. After Edwin's mother, Sarah, suddenly died of disease when he was just 15 years old, the Emperor discovered his existence as an imperial prince and took him in as an official member of the imperial family. However, he was neglected and bullied by high society for being uneducated, which sparked his resentment towards the imperial family and aristocrats in general. Of course, his attempts failed, and towards the story's end he apologizes to the protagonists, strives to better himself and gets sent to another city to study. He disappeared from the story afterwards.

And today, an imperial knight visited our humble abode, carrying a letter emblazoned with the coat-of-arms of Schwerin, the imperial family. His uniform, dark green with some yellow motifs, indicated his status as a high-ranking member of the Imperial Guard which resides in Ralthorpe, the main imperial palace.

The meeting went like this.

I had just begun cooking for the night when a knock came on the door. My younger sister and mother were out.

A man was standing at the entrance, with a cloak which concealed his appearance. With his deep voice he asked,

"May I come in?"

but before I replied, he stepped in and closed the door behind him. Obviously indignated I angrily told him to get out, before he took off the cloak, showing his uniform.

I froze. That's the uniform of the Imperial Guard. What's an Imperial Guard doing here? Did they find out about me?

No... In the story, Edwin only got discovered due to his silver hair and purple eyes, symbolic of the imperial family. When Sarah in the story was still alive, she used a potion to hide Edwin's hair and eye colours, turning it into the common brown and green colours instead. After her death, Edwin couldn't afford to buy a new potion, so he couldn't conceal his true appearance.

However, right now my hair and eyes are brown and green. I'm sure that there hasn't been any slip-up whatsoever.

"Are you Edwin Grayson?"

His commanding voice made me feel like a cowering mouse.

"Ah, yes... Oh! Please sit down, sir, I will go make some refreshments."

After serving the drinks, I sat on the sofa opposite of him. His eyes were fixated on me, as if staring into my soul, searching for any... peculiarities. Under that threatening aura, I started the conversation, trying to sound as confident as possible.

"Excuse me, may I ask for the reason for your visit sir?"

"You have been summoned to Ralthorpe for an audience with His Majesty the Emperor," he said, handing me an envelope emblazoned with the imperial family crest. "Take this. It is your permit for entry into the palace complex."

I froze. An audience with the Emperor? Why? Don't tell me he found out... please, no. I even saved my mother from death already, and I have a cute little sister who adores her brother.

"...I'm sorry, this is too sudden. May I ask why?"

I hated not being able to deny the letter's authenticity. However, the guard remained silent to my question, instead talking about something else.

"Since us guards are too busy, nobody is available to deliver you to the palace. The audience is in three days. You may use this money to buy appropriate clothes and hire a private carriage. Of course, you may use it for something else, however I strongly suggest you don't."

From his cloak, he pulled out a small leather pouch. I only stared at it in return.

"Please be reminded that should you fail to show up, appropriate measures will be taken. That is all I have to say. I will take my leave now. Thank you for the tea."

His words were short, direct and cutting. I absentmindedly led him to the door and remained standing even after he left. Soon, mother and sister returned home.

They asked me who visited, but I simply shrugged it off and resumed cooking. That night, I made a special dinner, aware that it may be our last together. Amidst the warm family atmosphere, the anxieties of before seemed to vanish, replaced only by a sense of security.