Chapter 3

Ralthorpe was like a maze. I only followed the guard, who introduced himself as Ralph, like a puppy along the way.

Soon, we arrived at a large white door with some gold encrustations – the Emperor’s office. A single drip of cold sweat fell from my forehead.

“Captain-General Ralph Gladstone of the Ralthorpe Guards announcing his presence with Sir Edwin Grayson, Your Majesty.”

The Emperor did not respond for a while.

In the novel, other characters besides the main couple and other protagonists rarely appeared; in fact, Emperor Nestor III is only portrayed a few times monotonously when the background is Ralthorpe. Other characters, like Empress Euphryne, were invisible. However, First Consort Celine played a major role in the story as the primary villain and also as the only character who met a terrible end – even her son Melchior, the third prince, abandoned her in the end to join the protagonists’ side.

Contrary to my expectations, the voice that emerged from inside was on a level higher than Ralph’s. While Ralph had a cool and dry deep voice, the Emperor’s had a domineering aura – so much that anyone who heard it would cower like a rat. Fortunately, I didn’t.

“Enter.”

The moment I did, my hair suddenly fluttered and my eyes suddenly dried before moistening again. Ralph had a bewildered look on his face, appearing frozen on the spot, while the Emperor, sitting leisurely on his desk chair, sported a cocky but eerie smile. So he canceled the potion’s effect. With a simple hand gesture, he shooed Ralph away, who gently closed the door behind him, leaving the both of us alone.

An uneasy silence engulfed the room; unable to bear the tension, I gulped, standing frozen in the same spot while the Emperor stared at me. He then stood up, and in large strides, made his way towards me.

Up close, albeit aged, the man still appeared handsome - as much as I’d like to deny it, we look similar when my disguise is off. He was only a little taller than me, but I looked down instead. 

He suddenly chuckled.

“Aren’t you going to introduce yourself, boy?”

Shit. While panicking, I forgot that he was the Emperor! Without haste, I bowed, trying to sound as calm as possible even as my heartbeat quickened.

“This humble servant greets Your Majesty.”

“Do you know why you have been called here?”

I looked up, straight into the Emperor’s eyes and froze. 

“As expected of my son, you are quite brave!”

His laughter roared, seemingly eradicating the previously tense atmosphere. So he knew from the start. When did he find out?

“Sit down. We have a lot to talk about.”

* * *

I sat opposite of him, not making a single movement under his watchful gaze and aura. Unable to bear the silence, I initiated the conversation. Trying to sound as calm and confident as possible, I looked straight into his eyes and asked coldly. It was easier than expected, surprisingly.

“When did you find out?”

The Emperor’s mischievous smirk only grew wider.

“So you’re starting the conversation first? Bold, just like me. I have to admit, this is the first time we’ve met, but I already feel a connection to you. As to your question, only since recently.”

Despite his appearance, the Emperor was surprisingly a natural talker. He resumed, in a much more stern tone.

“To make it short, as someone of Schwerin blood and therefore imperial lineage, you will be granted the appropriate title and privileges.”

“What if I refuse?”

He smirked again, only this time, it seemed much more sinister. As if he was ridiculing somebody, or asking, ‘How dare you defy me?’

“Well, to start, hiding the children of aristocracy or royalty is considered kidnapping by imperial law, and perpetrators must be punished accordingly,”

Realizing his implications, my blood boiled. This time, it felt as if the fear and anxiety from before had vanished, replaced completely by anger and sudden confidence to bore into the Emperor’s eyes. How dare he mention my mother as a criminal!?

Not bothered by me at all, the man nonchalantly resumed.

“You won’t be going home today. I have already dispatched a messenger with an official letter to your house. Tonight, the whole family is eating together, and I want you to participate too.”

I raised my eyebrows in confusion. Why is he already introducing me to them?

“If you’re worried about dining etiquette, don’t worry. It’s an informal occasion, and I have already assigned you a temporary tutor to guide you.”

Not giving me a chance to respond, he continued, his face getting serious.

“Let’s put that aside. Now, where did you learn magic, my son?”

We spent our time having a productive discussion about many things, primarily about my education. His eyes were clearly assessing me as I spoke, to which I struggled to maintain a calm composure. I learned magic independently from books, while I educated myself on many subjects more common to nobles in addition to relying on knowledge from my past life. The Emperor seemed quite impressed with me, though his expressions are usually unreadable.

In the novel, aside from their physical traits, the Schwerin family had a naturally high affinity for magic, which must be controlled and tamed lest it go astray. This happened to the novel’s Edwin due to his poor knowledge of magic, but I started early to avoid that. However, when compared to the techniques and methods employed by the Schwerin, mine didn’t hold a candle. On other fields of education however, I had confidence, only needing some adjustments to match a normal aristocrat’s education.

Etiquette wasn’t a big problem either. In my past life, I used to be the heir of a wealthy chaebol family before finances collapsed when I was a teenager. As a result, I am quite well-versed in the rules of high society – the temporary etiquette teacher, Marchioness Lyndon, seemed pleasantly surprised at my adeptness despite the common appearance. Since my existence was still supposed to be top-secret before dinner, the Emperor restored the potion’s effects.

Following the palace chamberlain, I traversed the maze of gold-adorned and coloured walls to the dining hall, emitting a regal, princely aura from a combination of my previous self and an attempt at imitating the Emperor. As the door opened, I was a little embarrassed that everyone had gathered. Around the dining table sat the Emperor on the very front, with Empress Euphryne and Consort Celine on both his sides, followed by Prince Ezra and Princess Helga on Euphryne’s side. Beside Celine sat Prince Melchior. The former two are only a year older than me, while Melchior is four years my junior. 

All eyes darted upon me, from which I could discern looks of curiosity, amusement, indifference and hostility. The Emperor’s voice broke the budding tension.

“Welcome, Edwin. Sit next to Melchior.”

Without a single expression on my face, I obeyed him and sat next to Melchior, who briefly glanced at me.

“Now, let this dinner start.”