Chapter 2

The next morning started as usual. After I finished making breakfast, Mother and Lucy sat on the table and we began eating together.

"Mom, I must go somewhere today so I won't be able to help out."

"Oh? Then I suppose Lucy will have to come to the boutique with me," Mother replied, initially shocked but indifferently.

"...You're not asking more?"

"Ed, you're practically an adult now. Other boys your age play out and fool around, but you're tying yourself down in this house like an old wife. You're free to go wherever you want, even if it's a brothel."

My face reddened. Brothel? Don't take me for that kind of person, Mom! I coughed lightly in return.

Lucy, with her cute voice, asked me.

"Ed, you don't pway with Wucy today?"

I smiled and said 'no', to which she pouted. How adorable. The breakfast passed in silence.

Later that day, after cooking lunch for myself, I took a bath and dressed in normal, everyday clothes, with the addition of a cap. I grabbed the pouch given by that guard yesterday and opened it. Inside were shining gold coins, with the Schwerin crest engraved on them. These were extremely exclusive coins, separate from normal gold coins, because they contained special magic which would relay signals directly to the Emperor everytime they were used. These coins appeared no different from normal gold coins, but as someone of imperial lineage, I had high magic affinity. No wonder that man warned me not to overspend; just imagine wasting precious magic coins, not to mention being under the Emperor's radar. Luckily, even if he had said nothing, I didn't plan on using it more than needed.

Hilford is a really magnificent city once you get to the commercial areas. Countless people of various creeds mixed together, with great public infrastructure and solid roads. Luxury shops aligned on one side, and an array of cafés and restaurants on the other. After holding up at home for a long time, it definitely felt fresh. Unfortunately, I didn't know the way around.

I needed to get to a gentleman's clothes shop. Nearby stood a dandy-looking man loading up several boxes into his carriage, so I asked him.

"Excuse me sir, would you perhaps know a place to buy clothes as fine as yours?"

The man eyed me suspiciously, probably questioning why a commoner is asking those questions. Nonetheless, he answered.

"If you turn left from that street sign over there, you will find a shop called 'Lindby Tailor.'"

I bowed politely to thank the man and set off. Arriving at the store, I was completely dumbfounded on what to do. Luckily, an employee approached me, but I wasn't well-versed on appearance. In the end, I ordered a blue-coloured formal wear, based on the recommendations of the head tailor. Their jaws dropped when I asked if the suit could be finished tomorrow, but treated me like a God upon offering six gold coins, twice the original fee. In normal money, it cost around 700,000 pounds, impossible for a mere commoner to achieve.

Stepping out of the store, Hilford's air hit my nose once again, strangely inciting my hunger; perhaps through the fragrant smell of food which lingered through every avenue. Guided solely by stomach and nose, I reached a petite café which had a homey atmosphere. Sitting down, I ordered sweet coffee and some side desserts; how long has it been since I last ate these desserts. As my tongue drowned in pleasure, I absentmindedly observed the passersby, oblivious to the eyes trailing me, spectating the last moments of my freedom.

The hours before the day passed by uneventfully as I resumed my regular routine, only stepping out for a bit on the day before to pick up the clothes. I also visited a private carriage company to reserve the most grandiose for the next day – costing a whopping eight gold coins. The clerk at the store seemed perplexed at my appearance, but shrugged it off.

I scheduled the carriage to come sometime after breakfast at the road just outside of the residential area, to avoid attention from neighbours and more importantly, away from mother's and Lucy's sight. I waited until they left the house before preparing; going out with such fancy clothes would already attract attention. I don't even know if I'll be able to return home tonight, so I left a note at the dining table before heading out.

The ride to Ralthorpe was monotonous and boring, but it allowed space for thought. Anxiety and fear dominated my body as the carriage rocked forward through the streets of Hilford, my mind consumed by thoughts of being discovered. As I was preoccupied with such notions, the landscape outside changed from the bustle and cracked stone pavements of downtown Hilford to the tranquil, pristine pavements of central Hilford, where high ranking aristocracy resided around the imperial palace complex. Their lavish mansions could be seen clearly in the distance. Eventually, the carriage reached the gates of the imperial palace complex, reinforced remains of an ancient castle with three passageways each guarded by a guard. In its center a golden Schwerin crest was pinned.

I handed the permit to one of the guards - different from the Ralthorpe guard who visited me, his red uniform signified his status as a soldier of the outer palace. He cast a quick glance at me before scurrying to inform his superior; it didn't take long for the man to appear. Introducing himself as the Captain of the Outer Palace's guards, he informed me that the private carriage was prohibited from coming through, so a separate carriage would be prepared inside.

I gasped in surprise. If the outer palace was this grand, then what of Ralthorpe, where the Emperor, his wives and children reside? The outer palace used to be an imperial residence, but after Ralthorpe was constructed, it became vacant before being repurposed as the Imperial Legislature building. I had read about the palace complex in an encyclopedia before, but the real thing is mindblowing.

To my surprise, Ralthorpe looked exactly like the Palace of Versailles, with some alterations - I suppose given that the author of this novel world is from Earth, it's to be expected. Getting off the carriage, that same guard who visited (intruded) home stood, staring at me.

"Welcome to Ralthorpe. I hope your journey was fine," his voice was still as cold and dry as a northern winter as his eyes scrutinized my figure.

I coughed lightly. "Yes."

"His Majesty is waiting. Please follow me."

Without haste, I followed him into the magnificent palace. The dreadful feelings that engulfed me on the journey only tripled, as the truth that I had been denying for so long exploded in front of my eyes.