Chapter 33: Down Once More/Track Down This Murderer (Reprise)

Rey's eyes remained shut as she extinguished her lightsaber. Kylo and Raoul both watched with wide eyes, wondering what in the force was running through her head. Rey's mental barrier was tight and she could feel Kylo brush against it, trying to look for a crack to knock down the wall she created. But Rey's walls didn't tear down as she focused on the light inside of her.

Rey pondered how lucky she was. Her parents may have left her but she was brought up in a caring home. Kylo obviously did not feel the same way. She had her friends whilst he had none. Rey's heart softened, the darkness melting away. Passion stirred within her - a known dark side trait but, such strong emotions could be powerful. This was the way and as she accepted this, the force within her reached a state of equilibrium. "Balance" she whispered to herself. Rey dropped the lightsaber to the cold, hard floor. It made a loud metallic clunk as it rolled away. Raoul watched in horror, thoughts rushing through his head, and none of them good. Kylo went wide eyed also wondering what she was up to. Rey moved slowly towards him, not fearfully but gently as if taming an animal. She looked up at him with her deep brown eyes, glistening with tears. He gazed back into them, taking in the depth of emotion. It was hypnotising and he wanted to tear his eyes away, anything to stop the swarm of feelings bursting from within.

"Ben," she whispered dulcetly, taking his hand in hers. Kylo did not recoil, instead folding his hands around hers. "Pitiful creature of darkness, what kind of life have you known?" She asked, empathy hanging onto each word. She looked down briefly, accepting her path and what she was about to do. "Force, give me courage to show you... You are not alone..." Rey's voice, though louder still trembled as she reached up, standing on her toes to Kylo's height and put her hands behind his head, gripping his hair. She took a nervous breath as she brought her face closer in and closed her eyes. Kylo was in shock and stared back blankly, stiffening at Rey's touch. Rey closed the gap between them and kissed him full on the lips. The meaningful act of love took a second for Kylo to process before he relaxed and held her in his arms. This was what he always wanted but something was not quite right. As Rey kissed him deeply, she dropped her mental barriers and showed him everything that she just couldn't voice aloud.

The light resides in me and the darkness in you, and yet neither of us can resist the other side ... and we are not meant too. I thought by joining you I was joining the dark side fully but I was wrong. I wouldn't be joining it, I would be accepting it as part of the force, part of you. The light side and dark side live in harmony, one cannot take lead over the other. The force is an equal mix of light and dark just as we are. I have accepted the dark in me as being equal to the light, Ben accept the light in you... help me bring balance to the force. We can do that together...

Kylo heard her sweet voice loud and clear in his head. He could feel her pain and disappointment for failing to reach him sooner. He could feel her isolation when she discovered she had the force and the happiness at the prospect of finding a friend within Ben Solo. She radiated all that was good in the world, despite all the suffering she had faced. Such strong feelings that she used to motivate her actions - a true balance. All the pain Kylo felt seemed to dissolve, just as it did on that night where they had almost kissed. Now here she was, with him, beside him and kissing him it seemed and... she meant it. She was showing him love. Not romantic love, but this was affectionate and selfless love.

"You're not alone Rey,"

"Neither are you," she whispered.

In that moment, something changed. The seed of light in Kylo Ren exploded and the darkness receded, equalling with the light.The internal change bounced through the force to Rey. She could feel his acceptance of the light side of the force. She could feel the balance. Rey deepened her kiss and gripped onto Ben Solo and he held her tightly back, their movements synced. The force hummed around them, full of energy and new life. There was a new depth of emotion, stirring passion within them. The light drove away all feelings of jealousy and control and left understating and acceptance. There was darkness and light and it balanced out perfectly. The union between Rey and Ben was so powerful and strong that a burst of energy exploded in the cave, creating a blinding light. Raoul shut his eyes, blocking out the overwhelming sensation. Rey and Ben could feel each other through the force. A strong connection between them had been solidified, an undeniable bond created was one that would not easily be broken. Rey's mind was an open book, showing Ben Solo how she truly and deeply wanted to help him. Her kindness and empathy hit Ben hard just as all his sorrow and anger hit her too. Something else also hit Rey hard. Rey and Ben had opened their minds to each other and that meant Rey could feel Ben's love for her. It felt easy and meaningful, full of warmth and affection. Ben had an undying want to be with her - not being with her was so painful for him that it physically made Rey weak. The love Ben now felt for Rey was no longer overshadowed by jealousy and obsession but a true, selfless love. This love was not overcome by the need for Rey to love him back but he showed it to her nonetheless, regardless of what she was prepared to give him.