(JANUARY) Just Shy and the American Stalker Boy

One

Tiny, flower like seeds dropped from the elm trees all around me, and swirled through the water as Delilah slowly made her way through the streets of Roermond. Piwi was perched at the bow of the boat and was sticking out his tongue to taste the  first sweet winds of the new year, and I was on my way to my favorite part of the day.

The little bell above the door of Boekje Wereld jingled as I stepped through the doorway. Ms. Suiker looked up from her old computer, and a huge smile spread across her wrinkled face. I grinned and walked up to her.

Hallo , mevrouw Suiker , Gelukkig Nieuwjaar !” (Hello, Ms. Suiker, Happy New Year!) I spoke in Dutch and walked up to embrace her. 

Oh , Bernadette , Gelukkig Nieuwjaar aan u ook mijn lief!” (Oh, Bernadette, Happy New Year to you too my sweet!) Her thin arms wrapped around me and patted my back in a quick hug. She pulled away and looked at me. “Ik heb je niet de hele week gezien!” (I have not seen you all week!)

I continued to explain to her how busy I’ve been with school and the New Year, and after chatting for a little while, Ms. Suiker gave Piwi a large bone to gnaw on, and I headed down to the back of the store to read my book. I got myself comfortably settled against the wall in the back with my knees pulled up to my chest and my arms wrapped around them, gripping my book. Piwi sat to my left and chewed ferociously at his bone. I had been reading like this for about 15 minutes when I heard the door swing open, and the tiny bell above the door jingled, signalling someone had entered. I didn’t look up from my book, knowing that this was a store open to the public, and customers were not the rarest thing.

“Welcome to Boekje Wereld.” I heard Ms. Suiker say, which was one of the few phrases she knew it English.

“Hello Ma’am.” The customer said. His voice was low and soft and smooth, and didn't quite sound like he was from around here. When I peeked up from my book to see who had entered, it looked to be a boy about my age, maybe a year or so older. Seeing that he was my age and could quite possibly go to my school, I quickly brought my eyes back down to my book.

I realized that I had happened to choose a short skirt for my wardrobe today. It was gray, and slightly poofy, and silky, with navy blue feathers printed on it. I quite liked this skirt, though skirts are not the best choice when sitting down, especially in the position I was in, and especially since I had nothing under it. I grimaced and scolded myself for not wearing tights or at least shorts underneath. I never usually wear skirts, but of course the one day I do…

I quickly tried to shift my legs into position so that the boy would not get a clear shot of my underwear, before he came too close. The boy made his way down the aisle, hands in his jean pockets, gazing at the book on the shelves as walked. I finally decided on sitting with my legs tucked in on the ground, with one knee on top of the other. I quickly adjusted my position and then looked back down at my book, pretending I had been quietly reading all along.

I spied on the boy from the corner of my eye, and I could tell he noticed me now. He walked towards the back wall and I silently chanted in my head Go away go away go away go away… My wishes were not granted. The boy stopped at the back wall and reached up to grab a book from the shelf. He flipped through a few pages, then shut the book. I didn’t have to look up to know he was staring at me now. His eyes burned holes in the the top of my head. What do I do? Should I look up and say hi? Or should I ask him what the heck his problem is and to mind your own beeswax you creepy stalker?

“What are you reading?”

I held my breathe and my heart pounded. Oh shoot. Did he actually just talk to me? What do I say? Wait, what am I reading?!