16 While my pretty one sleeps

With every minute that ticked by, Creed's hatred for Stan grew. In itself, that was nothing new. Stan had made his frail's life hell and that was more than enough to incur a smoldering hatred that would last for as long as he lived. This was different though. This was a bright flame that made his chest hurt with every breath.

It was because of Stan that he'd bolted out the door while she was in the shower, making his way through the woods on all fours to find Conlon at the agreed upon place, leaving the frail vulnerable for the twenty minutes he was gone. It was because of Stan that he'd returned carrying three light blue Hypnocyn tablets in a tiny plastic bag in his shirt pocket. He would only need one of the hexagonal pills, but Conlon hadn't exactly gotten it from a pharmacy. It was Stan's fault that he'd spent the day feeling the almost imperceptible weight of that package growing heavier as the time grew closer to use its contents.

It was all Stan's fault, and Stan was going to fucking pay in blood and suffering.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Kelly stood on the porch with her grandparents in a close, three-way embrace. After a few minutes, Kelly stopped struggling to hold back her tears.

"You don't have to g-go." Her grandmother's voice cracked.

"Anna-"

"She doesn't want to go! Do you?" Even in the dim light, Kelly could see the desperation in her grandmother's eyes. She envied Victor for having gotten away to the car after a few quick goodbyes.

"Granna, there's no answer to that question."

"Of course there isn't," her grandfather said.

"I can't lose you again." Her grandmother's fingers tightened on the back of Kelly's jacket.

"You're not going to lose me, Granna."

"You sound so sure of that." The old woman shook her head.

"I am sure." Kelly was sure that Victor would do everything in his power to keep her safe. The rest of the world was far more uncertain. She had almost gotten used to that.

"You know you can come back anytime." Her grandfather said. She could tell from the look in his eyes that he knew more about what was going on than he was willing to let on.

"I know. I'll call you tomorrow."

"From where?" Her grandmother asked quickly.

"From wherever she is." Her grandfather answered.

"So you want your only granddaughter to be a gypsy?" Her voice was getting more shrill. "What kind of life is that-"

"Anna!" His voice was sharp and commanding.

Kelly could see that her grandmother had been pushed beyond her breaking point, and without another word she turned and retreated back into the house. Kelly started to go after the older woman, but her grandfather stopped her.

"Don't."

"But-"

He shook his head. "She needs to figure this out for herself."

Kelly sighed. "I can't even say goodbye without messing it up somehow."

"That's Stan talking."

"I've been upsetting her since I got here. That's a plain fact."

"That doesn't make it your fault."

Kelly looked at him flatly. "Then what would you call it?"

"An overdue meeting with reality." He glanced over at the car. "You should go."