26 Circle of trust.

Kelly lay mostly on top of Victor. His hands were drifting over her body, sometimes tracing designs with the tips of his claws, sometimes simply exploring her curves with his fingertips. 

They'd tried going back to bed after Jimmy had come and collected their unexpected visitor, but the scent of Kelly's fear from her earlier nightmare was still too thick in the bedroom for Victor to sleep. Kelly couldn't get comfortable anyway. He'd stripped the blankets off the bed and made a spot on the living room floor for the two of them. After they'd settled, a comfortable silence grew between them and stayed.

Kelly watched as light crept in slowly, despite the fact that the curtains were all closed. It was gray and ephemeral at first, but it grew brighter in puddles under the windows. Kelly shifted to avoid an errant beam of sunlight. His arm tightened around her for a moment.

"You sleep?" His voice was a soft rumble.

"No." Her own voice was as soft as his.

"Still upset?" His fingers moved through her hair.

"No. Just not sleepy."

He shifted so that he could look at her. A little grin quirked the corner of his mouth. "Son of a bitch, the ape was right."

She smiled a little. "You thought he wasn't?"

"Thought he lied."

There was nothing she could say. If she were honest with herself, she didn't fully trust anyone she'd met at the school, not yet anyway. She brushed her lips over his shoulder lightly, because she could reach it without moving more than her head. "Hungry?"

"Eh." His lips found hers, toying between tender teasing and the sharpness of a fang tip.

Kelly sighed and pressed closer. She was beginning to get lost in it when the sound of a phone shattered the moment. She could feel tension race through his body.

"I'll-"

He growled and dug his claws into her bottom. The meaning was clear. Kelly stayed put and watched him get up.

"This better be goddamn good." He leaned against the kitchen door frame, his eyes were still on her. For a long moment he was silent.

"Oh for fuck's sake Jimmy, you know I didn't lay a hand on that kid and I ain't gonna go and defend myself to an old man."

He went silent, listening to whatever was being said on the other end of the line, his jaw was tense, his arms were crossed. One clawed finger tapped his bicep. Kelly reached for his shirt and put it on again. He drew his eyebrows together and looked at her. Kelly pointed toward the bathroom. He nodded. She wasn't sure if it was understanding or permission. Either way, it didn't much matter. She got up and trotted down the hall.

Kelly could hear him talking through the bathroom door, but she couldn't make out what he was saying. The tone of disdain in his voice was clear though. If he wanted her to know more, he would tell her when she got back out there. She washed up before going back out again. 

He ended the call and tossed the phone back onto the counter. "The old man wants to talk about that kid who was here this morning."

She looked at him curiously. "What's there to talk about?"

"Hell if I know. Figured if you wanted to, we'd go. If not, we won't."

Kelly shrugged with one shoulder and tried not to shiver in the chilly house. "I'd like to see Cassie. I've been texting with her a little, but I haven't seen her since that first day."

"So we'll go." He grasped her arm. "C'mon, I'm freezing my fucking balls off."

She smiled a little. "Maybe you shouldn't walk around naked."